Author Topic: Schumer tells colleagues not to expect a gun control vote anytime soon  (Read 256 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Schumer tells colleagues not to expect a gun control vote anytime soon
by Alexander Bolton - 05/25/22 11:19 AM ET

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) told colleagues on the Senate floor Wednesday that he will not immediately bring gun control measures to the floor in the wake of two mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, because he doesn’t expect them to muster enough Republican votes to pass. 

Instead, the Democratic leader said he will wait for Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and other members of his caucus to try to negotiate a bipartisan compromise with Republicans on a measure that has a better chance of securing 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. 

“There are some who want this body to quickly vote on sensible gun safety legislation, legislation supported by the vast majority of Americans,” he said. “They want to see this body vote quickly so the American people can know which side each senator is on …. I’m sympathetic to that, and I believe that accountability votes are important.” 

But Schumer said he thought that bringing gun-control legislation in the immediate aftermath of Buffalo and Uvalde, where two lone shooters left a total of 31 people dead in the span of 10 days, would be fruitless because of staunch Republican opposition to such reforms. 

He noted that Republicans opposed proposals to expand background checks, ban assault-style weapons and prohibit high-capacity magazines after a gunman killed 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., in 2012. 

“If the slaughter of schoolchildren can’t convince Republicans to buck the NRA, what can we do?” he said, referring to the National Rifle Association. 

“Sadly, this isn’t a case of the American people now knowing where their senators stand. They know. They know because my Republican colleagues are perfectly clear on this issue. Crystal clear.”

more
https://thehill.com/news/3501101-schumer-tells-colleagues-not-to-expect-a-gun-control-vote-anytime-soon/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Even Schmucky realizes that pushing gun control will just hammer another nail in the coffin of their mid term defeat. Do they really think that minority parents won't want to be able to defend their families, that the majority of them will want to be disarmed? Because all those draconian gun laws are working so well in places like Chicago?

Offline Killer Clouds

Any and all gun control is unconstitutional. Not that the Democrat Communist Party cares about the Constitution. There is no law 9n the books now or that any politician can cook up that can stop a criminal from committing crime. Isn't mass murder a crime?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think he needs to make Beto the national spokesman for the gun grabbers.  Did you see his tirade before the Governor's press conference to console the families? https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,470600.msg2646798.html#msg2646798

Shameful.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Schumer loves lieing as much as he does deceiving, don't be a clueless fool, expect he speaks in opposites.
Schumer serves his master well..... :smokin:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Schumer loves lieing as much as he does deceiving, don't be a clueless fool, expect he speaks in opposites.
Schumer serves his master well..... :smokin:
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Too bad, I wanted him to do it so Mark Kelly can seal his doom in the US Senate race for Arizona.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: