Author Topic: Former CENTCOM commander skeptical of counterterrorism strategy for Afghanistan  (Read 111 times)

rebewranger

Former CENTCOM commander skeptical of counterterrorism strategy for Afghanistan
Mike Brest - 4h ago

The U.S. military is in a precarious position as it attempts to deter terrorism in Afghanistan without a presence in the country and limited help in the region, according to a former U.S. Central Command leader.

Gen. Joseph Votel, who served as the head of CENTCOM from March 2016 to March 2019, expressed doubt about the military’s planned reliance on over-the-horizon strikes as a counterterrorism strategy in an interview with the Washington Examiner.

“So the first thing is, I think we have to make sure we actually have that [capability], and I'm not so sure we do,” he said, though he noted, “I’m not in government right now, so I don't know. … I just get the feeling we don't yet have that problem solved or [are] continuing to search for an answer there."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/former-centcom-commander-skeptical-of-counterterrorism-strategy-for-afghanistan/ar-AAXHUUv?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=02861f9681e64ddb8323ebe8e022b14b

rebewranger

Why shouldn't it be a bad plan?  Look at the two people most responsible for it. tri22