Author Topic: Nearly 60 veterans deboard plane when one not allowed to fly  (Read 266 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Liz George  5/25/2022

Dozens of Oklahoma veterans deboarded a plane in a show of solidarity after one veteran’s oxygen tank prevented him from flying last week.

According to a News on 6 report on Monday, the group of nearly 60 veterans took a four-day honor trip to Washington, D.C. beginning May 18, but on the way home on May 22, the group got stuck in the Charlotte airport for 10 hours.

The long delay caused the oxygen tank of one of the veterans to run out of batteries, and it couldn’t be charged on the plane’s outlets. According to the group’s leaders, without extra batteries or a charging method, airline policy stated that the man couldn’t fly.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/05/nearly-60-veterans-deboard-plane-when-one-not-allowed-to-fly/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Nearly 60 veterans deboard plane when one not allowed to fly
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 12:37:51 pm »
 :flag: To those vets.

:wtf: American Airlines.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 02:42:01 pm »
:flag: To those vets.

:wtf: American Airlines.
I have to admit I'm torn on this one, respect to the Vets for not leaving one behind but was AA supposed to take the liability if the vet had a medical emergency on flight because his oxygen generator(I really don't think it was a tank)was not functional? It is unfortunate but it does seem that AA tried to make it right by getting them a charter flight once the Vet got fresh batteries for hi 02 unit.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 02:49:32 pm »
Connie Hurt
NEO Veterans Freedom Tour has done an excellent job with our Veterans and Patriots. American Airlines at Charlotte, North Carolina on the other hand have treated our Veterans very poorly! One on oxygen gets kicked off the plane, upsetting another so badly from witnessing the treatment he has a heart attack and goes to the hospital the rest of the Veterans and Patriots got off the plane because we leave no man behind! Respect! We didn’t get that from NC AA.

https://www.facebook.com/NEOvetsfreedomtour/posts/pfbid02cu3NDTiWC6dRPoR7tvvuMBRrPaXCbX5MnXnizNNYkzKdorkRDQN1Q3sL3EkghyYnl

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 02:57:10 pm »
You'd think that in those 10 hours at Charlotte Airport, someone could have found some place to plugin / recharge / or replace the batteries that power the oxygen tank.

I've seen 120 volt / 15 amp electrical outlets on newer planes, but, then again I've flown on some relics with American Airlines.

God bless those veterans.  They deserve better.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 03:03:50 pm »
You'd think that in those 10 hours at Charlotte Airport, someone could have found some place to plugin / recharge / or replace the batteries that power the oxygen tank.

I've seen 120 volt / 15 amp electrical outlets on newer planes, but, then again I've flown on some relics with American Airlines.

God bless those veterans.  They deserve better.

You know, This is just a theory.  I have relatives that use supplemental O2.  Take an assumption that the machine was fully charged before boarding the plane in DC for the 4-5 hour (2 stop) trip to Tulsa the Vet probably checked his charging cord in his luggage.  Since the plane was delayed 10 hours in Charlotte he couldn't get the cord to plug-in at the airport to charge the battery pack.

Just spitballing here.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.