General Category > Crime And Punishment

Two men in custody after police track skimming scam in Pittsburgh-area stores

(1/1)

Kamaji:
‘I know what I’ve done’: 2 men in custody after police track skimming scam in Pittsburgh-area stores

Taylor Spirito, Lori Houy
May 21, 2022

Two men are in custody after police said they planted skimming devices on self-checkout machines at some Pittsburgh-area stores.

Frazer Township police began investigating after an employee at the Sam’s Club at Pittsburgh Mills mall noticed something amiss and discovered a skimming device at one of the self-checkouts early Thursday.

Frazer Township Police Chief Terry Kuhns told Channel 11 that police pulled surveillance video from the store, which shows the two men putting the device on the card scanner on Monday.

According to Chief Kuhns, Constatin Colceag and Raul-Mihai Cojocaru walked in and purchased paper towels — among other items — from the store. One of the men placed the skimmer on the machine while the other used his body to block others from witnessing the act.

Chief Kuhns also said the men returned to Sam’s Club twice to retrieve stolen credit and debit card information from the skimmer via Bluetooth.

Chief Kuhns said police were able to track down the men to a rental SUV with New Jersey license plates. Frazer Township police alerted other departments and on Friday, the car was pulled over on Route 8 and the suspects were taken into custody.

Source:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/i-know-what-i-ve-done-2-men-in-custody-after-police-track-skimming-scam-in-pittsburgh-area-stores/ar-AAXyLth?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=5117258721c64d2b9f0a0f59dde391ba

Kamaji:
How to Spot an ATM Skimmer

Co-authored by wikiHow Staff
Last Updated: March 4, 2022

ATM skimmers are fake card readers and cameras attached to a real ATM. When you put your card into the fake card reader, it can steal your information. Because skimmers can look so realistic, it may not be immediately apparent that a skimmer is there. To protect your card information, start checking an ATM for tampering before you use it. Perform a visual examination and physically test the machine for loose or unusual parts. There is no foolproof way to completely detect a skimmer. With safe ATM habits, however, you can reduce your risk.

Things You Should Know

* A skimmer refers to a fake card reader and camera used to steal your credit card information at an ATM.

* Try jiggling the card reader to see if it’s loose, and look for signs of glue around the reader to spot a skimmer.

* If the keypad feels “off” or the buttons are unusually spongey or uneven, the keypad may be fake.

* There are apps that can scan the area for Bluetooth signals associated with skimmers.

Use Skimmer Scanner on your phone to test for skimmers. This app uses Bluetooth to see if the ATM is sending information out to another phone or computer. You can download the app for Android phones for free from the app store

Source:  https://www.wikihow.com/Spot-an-ATM-Skimmer

mountaineer:
Good grief. I'd heard of people doing this with ATMs and gas pumps. Now self-checkouts at stores? Better start paying cash.  *****rollingeyes*****

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on May 22, 2022, 07:25:32 pm ---Good grief. I'd heard of people doing this with ATMs and gas pumps. Now self-checkouts at stores? Better start paying cash.  *****rollingeyes*****

--- End quote ---

That is one solution. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version