Author Topic: An Air Force general wants to ‘robust’ Guam. What the hell does that mean?  (Read 210 times)

rebewranger

An Air Force general wants to ‘robust’ Guam. What the hell does that mean?
Jeff Schogol - Yesterday 5:40 PM

The U.S. military tends to contort the English language the same way it disfigured Eugene Stoner’s design for the AR-15 to create the highly flawed M16.

The word “behoove,” for example, seems only to exist so that noncommissioned officers can chew out junior enlisted servicemembers for their various failings. Likewise, nary has a Supreme Court ruling been written in which one of the justices has “piggybacked” off another’s opinion. And no one has ever asked his or her date if they want to come inside to spend the “period of darkness.”

Now an Air Force general officer has shown the military has found a new and creative way to warp the word “robust,” which in the civilian world is most often used as an adjective to describe something or someone as “strong” or “capable.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/an-air-force-general-wants-to-robust-guam-what-the-hell-does-that-mean/ar-AAXxsgC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5967f86a94634c96b7c0257d837e899b

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Maybe so it won't tip over and sink if everyone moves to one side?  :shrug: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Maybe so it won't tip over and sink if everyone moves to one side?  :shrug: :silly:

Hank Johnson!! :beer: :beer:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:00:43 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It means he wants to improve the defenses.

Something "robust" is stronger than typical items of the same type.

I have only had social contact with a couple of General Officers,but I can tell you there is no such critter as one who thinks neither his defensive or offensive capabilities can't be improved.

It's just the nature of  the beast.

BTW,this does NOT mean he lacks confidence in the ability of he and his men to defend their positions. It just means that to THESE people,nothing is EVER as good as it could be. It is the nature of their occupation to think like that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:52:39 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!