Author Topic: Why Military E-Bikes May Be the Next Big Thing in Scout Vehicles for Armies  (Read 114 times)

rebewranger

Why Military E-Bikes May Be the Next Big Thing in Scout Vehicles for Armies
Kyle Mizokami - Yesterday 10:58 AM

One of the pandemic’s commercial success stories, the rise of the e-bike, is also making inroads in the world's armies. At least half a dozen armies, including the Ukrainian armed forces, are currently evaluating e-bikes and electric motorbike hybrids for combat duty. These vehicles are set to carve out a niche as a quiet, go-anywhere scout vehicle, able to allow troops to sneak and peek while avoiding detection.

“E-bikes make a lot of sense for reconnaissance and special operations forces,” Leigh Neville, author of The Elite: The A-Z of Modern Special Operations Forces and the Overt Defense website, told Popular Mechanics. “For covert or low profile operations the use of e-bikes makes excellent sense: operators can silently approach an objective and have a ready means of escape."

Neville says that e-bike hybrids are best used as a dismount from an existing scout vehicle. “E-bikes offer a very portable form of reconnaissance platform: bring it in, thrown in the back of a helicopter, or mount it on a larger wheeled platform. The bikes can then conduct route reconnaissance and scouting independently of the patrol vehicle."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/why-military-e-bikes-may-be-the-next-big-thing-in-scout-vehicles-for-armies/ar-AAXwBfM?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=56c552c52b3747248481f43bae3e2138

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The problem I see here is getting them recharged. Different nations have different electrical grids. The US primarily operates using 110-115 volt negative ground systems,and I THINK I have heard that most nations use 220-230 volt systems.

That doesn't mean they all do,though.

I would like to see someone chime in here that actually knows something about electricity other than "Don't touch a hot wire",which is the actual extent of my knowledge of electricity.

I also have some concern with weight. Electric cars and motorcycles/bicycles weigh more than non-electric ones due to the battery weight. I am guessing with a bicycle/small motorcycle the weight wouldn't be significant,but I would HOPE that peddling the damn thing would be a viable option if the battery were to go dead for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:12:08 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!