Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg says US backs new Marshall plan to rebuild Ukraine  (Read 1047 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pete Buttigieg says US backs new Marshall plan to rebuild Ukraine

Exclusive: Transportation secretary says there is global support for reconstruction effort to help recovery from Russian invasion

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Fri 20 May 2022 00.00 EDT

A leading figure in the Biden administration has backed a recovery programme for Ukraine in the style of the Marshall plan, which helped rebuild Europe after the second world war.

Pete Buttigieg, the US transportation secretary, said there was plenty of political will at home and internationally towards cooperating in long-term reconstruction efforts including to buttress existing infrastructure in Ukraine.

“With the memory of the Marshall plan in mind, what we’re talking about is not only about how we fund immediate needs and support their ability to maintain the war effort, but how we support the ability of Ukraine to be economically viable and generate a sustainable future for themselves, even as they’re under attack,” the former presidential candidate said in an interview with the Guardian.

more
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/20/pete-buttigieg-says-us-backs-new-marshall-plan-to-rebuild-ukraine
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Pete Buttigieg says US backs new Marshall plan to rebuild Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 02:43:47 pm »
:facepalm2:

How the hell does this even remotely fit into the Transportation Secretary's portfolio?

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:08:49 pm »
:facepalm2:

How the hell does this even remotely fit into the Transportation Secretary's portfolio?
From behind.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 03:10:42 pm »
Does it almost really matter anymore?

Here Ukraine....   Take the whole suitcase.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 03:12:19 pm »
No.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 03:19:34 pm »
It doesn't, but he has no interest (nor any expertise) in dealing with the problems that actually are within the purview of the Transportation Dept. Such incompetence in this administration.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 03:21:26 pm »
It doesn't, but he has no interest (nor any expertise) in dealing with the problems that actually are within the purview of the Transportation Dept. Such incompetence in this administration.

Mere incompetence doesn't even begin to describe the level of misfeasance and malfeasance in this administration.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 03:46:59 pm »
why is the transportation secretary involved in this?

He butts into more than into his partner perhaps.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 03:48:21 pm »
Ooh, you said "butts." Homophobe!!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 11:55:27 pm »
NO...!!!

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 02:19:23 am »
Trump would have been against this, and Biden whom anything he does is certain to be better.  Could we just send the Congress home and let the Lord God Almighty biden just do as he pleases?  It has to be better than anything Trump did or would do, right?
What is the worst thing that happens to a fool(s)?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 02:41:33 am »
And chances are he doesn't have  a clue about what anything he said means.

Or care.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 02:49:01 am »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 04:00:50 am »
Shouldn't Russia be paying for this?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »

And too, why is some moron that couldn't even run a podunk town of South Bend, sorry after Studebaker folded what did they have, Notre Dame? Certainly no real employer otherwise. So why is an incompetent manager with no financial experience weighing in on a huge financial aid package?
I mean what really are his qualifications other than being "Queer" for any position (sorry) he has ever held?

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 08:34:28 pm »
The United States WILL PAY to rebuild Ukraine because of the hotheads on both sides of the aisle.  From the start, we told Zelensky to fight until the Last Ukrainian.  Even today, few of our leaders want a peace agreement, just another endless war.  They get off on this stuff. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 08:45:25 pm »
The United States WILL PAY to rebuild Ukraine because of the hotheads on both sides of the aisle.  From the start, we told Zelensky to fight until the Last Ukrainian.  Even today, few of our leaders want a peace agreement, just another endless war.  They get off on this stuff.

@cato potatoe

Yeah,MUCH better to be surrender monkies,and let the Russians and their Chinese pals control the world,huh?

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 09:40:49 pm »

Peace will only come when Russia leaves Ukraine. There is no compromise with someone bent on taking your country piece by piece.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2022, 09:41:28 pm »
Quote from: cato potatoe on Today at 01:34:28 pm

Quote from: sneakypete on Today at 01:45:25 pm
Yeah,MUCH better to be surrender monkies,and let the Russians and their Chinese pals control the world,huh?

@sneakypete @cato potatoe
Why in the name of God would we pay to rebuild the Ukraine, we didn't cause the destruction Russia did. Why was it Germany that had to repay for WWI and that was OK but now we are going to repay to rebuild Ukraine and not Russia? BULLSHIT! And that ain't got crap to do with surrendering nor did I read in his comment did cato potato call for one he was talking about no one seeming to want a peace agreement. I don't think it's bad for us to support Ukraine...intelligently with proper financial oversight, but as far as rebuilding? no that's on Russia not American taxpayers.

Offline DB

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 10:08:07 pm »

Why in the name of God would we pay to rebuild the Ukraine, we didn't cause the destruction Russia did. Why was it Germany that had to repay for WWI and that was OK but now we are going to repay to rebuild Ukraine and not Russia? BULLSHIT! And that ain't got crap to do with surrendering nor did I read in his comment did cato potato call for one he was talking about no one seeming to want a peace agreement. I don't think it's bad for us to support Ukraine...intelligently with proper financial oversight, but as far as rebuilding? no that's on Russia not American taxpayers.

@sneakypete response had nothing to do with paying to rebuild. It was about this: "From the start, we told Zelensky to fight until the Last Ukrainian.  Even today, few of our leaders want a peace agreement, just another endless war." as if it were Zelenskyy's fault that he didn't make peace by surrendering.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 11:00:35 pm »

Why in the name of God would we pay to rebuild the Ukraine, 

@cato potatoe

WHERE did I ever claim we should?

The UN should be the ones to bill Russia for the unprovoked invasion and the damage it caused,and remove them from the UN until they agree to start making payments.

In the meantime,I see no reasons why the UN shouldn't help Ukraine with the rebuilding they need for humanitarian reasons. Most of the housing,pipe lines for heating oil,and electrical generating plants have been destroyed,and people will starve to death in the cold if the UN doesn't come in and cover the emergency expenses while demanding Russia start making payments.

And "Yes,this DOES mean the US should contribute our share of cash to help Ukraine."

We have always contributed humanitarian aid to nations devastated by natural disasters,so why would this man-made disaster be any different?

Once Russia starts making payments the UN should allow them a limited membership until such time as they have paid off the damages in full.

If you want to discourage war,making the aggressors pay is the way to do it.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 02:13:28 am »
@sneakypete response had nothing to do with paying to rebuild. It was about this: "From the start, we told Zelensky to fight until the Last Ukrainian.  Even today, few of our leaders want a peace agreement, just another endless war." as if it were Zelenskyy's fault that he didn't make peace by surrendering.
Since when because America says fight to death is someone required to do it? Because why? America(Biden) won't give them money? Seems to me Zelensky and the Ukrainians made that choice on their own, I'm not saying it's the wrong one just you can't blame others for your choices. I hope the Ukrainians can do what other Eastern European countries couldn't, expensive for them in lives and infrastructure but if they succeed good for them and the world which is why I agree with supporting them in their struggle.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 02:19:41 am »
I don't think we that far off Pete, we both think Russia should pay but I detest the idea of the money going through the UN because I think we both know how much will be siphoned off and never get to the Ukrainians. And yes the American people are always generous in humanitarian aid but also what happens is the American people ALWAYS get stuck with the lions share of the bill and that's what I am against happening here. Russia's war, Russia's bill and they should be treated every damn bit as harshly as Germany was after WWI.

Offline DB

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 02:57:29 am »
Since when because America says fight to death is someone required to do it? Because why? America(Biden) won't give them money? Seems to me Zelensky and the Ukrainians made that choice on their own, I'm not saying it's the wrong one just you can't blame others for your choices. I hope the Ukrainians can do what other Eastern European countries couldn't, expensive for them in lives and infrastructure but if they succeed good for them and the world which is why I agree with supporting them in their struggle.

I guess you forgot that Biden offered Zelenskyy safe passage out of the country and into exile at the very beginning.

And I really don't think anyone had to tell Zelenskyy or the majority of Ukrainians to fight to the death. They love their homeland and freedom of not living under the Russian boot and are willing to die to prevent it. They've been there before and died by the millions. All well evidenced by their tenacity pushing the Russian bear out of their country.

So I'm all for supplying arms to these people to defend themselves. Arms that are modern and affective. Russia has subjugated and destroyed the lives of hundreds of millions of people over the last 70+ years. NATOs very existence is to contain Russia to its national borders. Destroying Russia's ability to nibble on its neighbors is win for all of us.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 08:15:51 am »
Russia's war, Russia's bill and they should be treated every damn bit as harshly as Germany was after WWI.

@GtHawk

I couldn't agree more.

The only thing is I would caution everyone to not get carried away with this,and look at how Germany was dealt with after WW-1 ended,and how that definitely set the stage to prepare the German people for WW-2 by creating MASSIVE resentment.

Anything can be abused,even justice.