Author Topic: On our way to a hard economic landing  (Read 379 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
On our way to a hard economic landing
« on: May 20, 2022, 01:40:31 pm »
 On our way to a hard economic landing
by Desmond Lachman, Opinion Contributor - 05/20/22 9:30 AM ET

Anyone who believes that the Federal Reserve will succeed in its efforts to reduce inflation without causing a hard economic landing has not been paying attention to the recent meltdown in the financial markets. Nor have they been paying attention to the dramatic increase in mortgage rates or to the rapid rise in the dollar.

Until very recently, both the stock market and the bond market boomed as seldom before on the back of ultra-low interest rates and the Fed’s $120 billion a month liquidity injection into the markets through its bond-buying activities. By the end of last year, equity valuations had reached nosebleed levels experienced only once before in the past 100 years while interest rates on risky loans were at close to historic lows.

Fast forward to this year and we have a completely different story. As the Fed has been forced to shift to a hawkish monetary policy stance to bring down multi-decade high inflation, which the Fed itself had created, the bottom has fallen out of the equity, bond and crypto currency markets.

It has done so as markets are coming to terms with the Fed’s announcement that it will now increase interest rates in 50 basis point steps rather than the more normal 25 basis point steps and that, beginning in August, it will start draining as much as $95 billion a month in liquidity from the markets by not rolling over its maturing bond holdings.

Markets are also having to get used to the idea that they can no longer expect that the Fed will ride quickly to their rescue, as they have done in the past when the going got tough. Indeed, the Fed is talking as if it welcomes some decline in the stock market.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/3495576-on-our-way-to-a-hard-economic-landing/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: On our way to a hard economic landing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 01:50:17 pm »
It's going to be hard - teeth-jarring hard - and getting harder every day.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:06:40 pm »
It's going to be hard - teeth-jarring hard - and getting harder every day.

Yep, my guess where the DJIA lands varies between 10,000-20,000.  Really depends what the fed does the next 6 months.

The  only thing I have been investing in, in the past few weeks is silver and gold.  They have had a nice dip of late. (If you call $1800/oz a dip :cool:)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 06:43:05 pm »
   The Stock Market is where it was at the Sunday Night before he was installed.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 06:55:48 pm »
Yep, my guess where the DJIA lands varies between 10,000-20,000.  Really depends what the fed does the next 6 months.

The  only thing I have been investing in, in the past few weeks is silver and gold.  They have had a nice dip of late. (If you call $1800/oz a dip :cool:)

I might consider buying back into a stock fund when the DJIA hits around 24,000.  Not before.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 07:30:32 pm »
They used the word "stagflation" this morning on MSNBC.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.