Author Topic: New Army 11th Airborne Division Gets Stand Up Date, Force Outline  (Read 158 times)

rebewranger

New Army 11th Airborne Division Gets Stand Up Date, Force Outline 

18 May 2022
Military.com | By Steve Beynod

The 11th Airborne Division, the Army's newest major unit, will be formed June 6 out of an assortment of soldiers in Alaska.

"It's long overdue; this is a compilation of years of effort to get us to a functional organization," Maj. Gen. Brian Eifler, commander of U.S. Army Alaska, told Military.com.

But that new designation will not add any additional airborne capabilities to the Arctic region, which U.S. adversaries are already trying to lay claim to.

Currently, there are two major Army formations in Alaska: the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, and the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division. Those will be redesignated the 1-11 Airborne and 2-11 Airborne, respectively. U.S. Army Alaska will also be absorbed into the new division.

Army officials are in the middle of finalizing a plan to get rid of its roughly 320 Strykers in Alaska, possibly using them for spare parts for other units. In the meantime, the Stryker brigade in Alaska will convert to a regular light infantry force, but could be converted into an air assault element down the road.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/05/18/new-army-11th-airborne-division-gets-stand-date-force-outline.html

Online Hoodat

Why not reconstitute the 17th Airborne Division instead?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The 11th Airborne Division, the Army's newest major unit, will be formed June 6 out of an assortment of soldiers in Alaska.

Say WHAT?????

There is nothing new about the 11th Abn Division unless this is 1941.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

Say WHAT?????

There is nothing new about the 11th Abn Division unless this is 1941.

I learned something new today.  I am a WWII nut, but confess that I have not followed the Pacific theater anywhere close to what I have read about the war against Germany.  Was not aware of the 11th Airborne.  Thanks, @sneakypete
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Hoodat

Yup!

Want to talk about screwed? The army de-activated the 11th Airborne division while I was in jump school,and renamed them the "1st Air Calvary Division". A new division needs new troops,so guess what happened to most of the guys in my jump school class.

That's right,they ended up getting assigned to the 1st Air Cav,and losing jump pay.

Not all of them. The army was also in the process of moving the 173rd Airborne from Okinawa to VN at the time,so a some of them went to the 173rd,but since the 173rd didn't make any formal parachute drops in the VN war,they didn't get jump pay. Most of them were on Okie for a few months before the unit transfered to SVN,and drew jump pay for that time,anyhow.

The SF guys on Okie in the 1st group really benefited,though. They got to move from Quonset huts into the practically brand new air-conditioned and heated barracks the 173rd had just vacated.

Jump Pay was a VERY big deal at the time. IIRC,a Private E-2 in the army at that time got paid something like $69 a MONTH,and jump pay added an additional $55 each month. Become a paratrooper as a Private,and you damn near doubled your monthly pay!

Me,and 3 other guys from that graduating jump school class were sent to SF at Bragg,and remained on jump status and got the extra pay. The other two guys volunteered for SF. I didn't,and served in two different SF Groups before volunteering. Even then I was tricked into volunteering by the Group SGM,SGM Dunnaway.

Serves me right. Anytime a PFC (for the 2nd or 3rd time!) thinks he has outsmarted a SGM,the only one he has outsmarted was himself. SOB tricked me into volunteering for SF duty,and put me on a A team to cross-train for an upcoming VN tdy  assignment.

I should have been suspicious when I saw him smile,but was so cocky I just ignored it. That taught me a very valuable "life lesson".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 05:54:37 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!