Author Topic: Air Conditioning a Human Right… Because Climate Change?  (Read 267 times)

rebewranger

Air Conditioning a Human Right… Because Climate Change?
« on: May 18, 2022, 04:46:31 pm »
Air Conditioning a Human Right… Because Climate Change?
15 hours ago David Middleton 
Guest “Goods and services aren’t rights” by David Middleton

HEALTH & FITNESS | MAY 16, 2022 2:29 PM
Why Air Conditioning Should Be a Universal Human Right
This century is only going to get hotter. Expanded access to cooling has become essential.

BY TANNER GARRITY

It’s hot out there.

Pick a country, pick a headline, pick a statistic, it’s all telling the same story — the planet is warming at an alarming rate. In the last few days alone, South East Asia recorded temperatures of 122°F, as regions of Pakistan and India labored through a punishing early-season heat wave; the bodies of assumed old mob hits washed up in Nevada’s historically-dry Lake Mead; and sweltering highs rarely seen this side of June have arrived in France and Spain.

[…]

Considering that rampant energy consumption on the part of humans is responsible for this crisis, it might seem counterintuitive that leading researchers are now calling for expanded access to air conditioning. In a recent article for Scientific American, four authors argue that AC ought to be considered a fundamental “human right,” and will be prerequisite for climate justice in the years ahead. They write:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/05/17/air-conditioning-a-human-right-because-climate-change/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Air Conditioning a Human Right… Because Climate Change?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 04:49:27 pm »
AYFKM?

Of course, all paid for at the expense of white westerners.

:facepalm2:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Air Conditioning a Human Right… Because Climate Change?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 01:49:43 am »
In a recent article for Scientific American, four authors argue that AC ought to be considered a fundamental “human right,” and will be prerequisite for climate justice in the years ahead.

That should provoke some interesting responses, but I won't read them. My sub lapsed long ago.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis