Author Topic: MTA unveils ‘stunning’ $30M staircase at Times Square subway station  (Read 507 times)

Offline Kamaji

MTA unveils ‘stunning’ $30M staircase at Times Square subway station

By David Meyer
May 16, 2022

Transit officials on Monday unveiled a new staircase and entryway at the Times Square subway station that they said cost the transit authority a cool $30 million to build.

MTA CEO Janno Lieber said the “stunning… first class” 15-foot wide staircase at the “center” of Broadway Plaza at 43rd Street Street would provide tourists and others with a clear path in and out of the “Crossroads of the World.”

The new staircase is 450 square feet bigger than its predecessor, which was also not as centrally located, Lieber said.

“It was so inconvenient. You saw so many tourists coming down there and being disoriented. Not anymore,” he said of the previous, narrower stairway. “The new entrance provides direct access to Times Square.”

The project also included a new $10 million elevator from the street to the mezzanine, which was paid for by Jameston, which owns 1 Times Square. Elevator users can access the platforms via a different elevator from the mezzanine that opened last year, officials said.

Taxpayers and riders are on the hook for the $30 million cost of the staircase, street-level canopy, expanded turnstile area, 18 new close-caption surveillance cameras and a mosaic by the artist Nick Cave, officials said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/05/16/mta-unveils-stunning-30m-staircase-at-times-square-subway-station/

Offline Kamaji

"Stunning"???

Offline rustynail

No cupholders for stair stayers?

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

The only thing "stunning" about this set of stairs is the price.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They probably spent a quarter mil on it, and the rest went down the graft hole.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Thirty MILLION?
For THAT?

C'mon, man...!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
"Stunning"???

Well it certainly stunned my Bieber with it's  $30 million price tag  888mouth

Offline andy58-in-nh

Well, it will give the rats more room to maneuver through the crowds.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Could build it in a weekend, prolly $1000 from Home Depot.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thirty MILLION?
For THAT?

C'mon, man...!
Yeah. I have seen bleachers that were better looking in Class C High School Gyms.

Aside from the price tag, the only way  I'd find those stunning is to fall down them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I'm not stunned.

How's the accessibility for wheelchair users?  I hope they put in a couple of elevators.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

I'm not stunned.

How's the accessibility for wheelchair users?  I hope they put in a couple of elevators.

They do have elevators as well.