Author Topic: Senate Hearing Highlights How Single-Payer Will Ration Health Care  (Read 286 times)

Offline Kamaji

Senate Hearing Highlights How Single-Payer Will Ration Health Care

The testimony showed a surprising amount of consensus about ‘free’ health care creating a level of demand for care that doctors and hospitals could not meet.

BY: CHRISTOPHER JACOBS
MAY 16, 2022

One might think that, given our polarized times, a topic like single-payer health care would yield to partisan disputes. Think again.

At a recent Senate Budget Committee hearing on the concept proposed by the committee’s chairman, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, witnesses from the left, right, and center all agreed: Single-payer would lead to unmet demand for care.

They disagreed on the nature and import of this conclusion, but the testimony showed a surprising amount of consensus about “free” health care creating a level of demand for care that doctors and hospitals could not meet all patient requests.

Massive Demand for ‘Free’ Care
Coming from the center, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) summarized its prior analysis of five hypothetical single-payer systems. CBO concluded that in all five cases,

The increase in demand for personal health care would exceed the increase in supply, resulting in greater unmet demand than the amount under current law….  The increase in unmet demand would correspond to increased congestion in the health care system, including delays and foregone care.

This testimony summarized a persistent theme in CBO’s work. Its December 2020 analysis of the five hypothetical single-payer proposals used the word “congestion” to describe single-payer’s impact on the health-care system no fewer than 28 separate times. Some might find “congestion” an overly polite euphemism for waiting lists and rationed care.

Regardless, CBO’s frequent use of the term explains why the budget office admitted it has not conducted a formal analysis of Sanders’ legislation. As the ranking member and then chairman of the Budget Committee, Sanders could have used his seniority to ask for—and receive—a full “score” of his bill years ago. The fact that he has not done so speaks volumes, and suggests Sanders does not want the budget office to quantify exactly how long patients might have to wait for care under his approach.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/05/16/senate-hearing-highlights-how-single-payer-will-ration-health-care/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Senate Hearing Highlights How Single-Payer Will Ration Health Care
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01:40:15 pm »
Single Payer Healthcare = Soylent Green
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 04:24:41 pm »
Congress, Senate and all their friggin staffers and employees should be required to enroll in the exact same lack of healthcare plan they want to foist on the rest of America, and I damn well mean have to, no buying outside insurance. If they think it's so good for the rest of America than it better be good enough for them! Want to cut some health care dollars? Quit giving free healthcare that's better than many Americans receive to the damn illegals, they shouldn't be getting a damn thing from American taxpayers...period!

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 07:16:09 pm »
Corrupt government, promise paradise and great things, seize control, declare shortages and massive increase costs, taxations-spending.  The deniers lockstepper  cheerleaders march, government take haven't we seen this kind of tyrant type rule here and over there (foreign lands)many times before?  Venezuela being a very current one?  Often the biggest bitchers were the ones that helped this kind of government take root.  Like last President Election?
 11513 :media: 11513
 :reaper:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 07:19:29 pm by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 07:25:27 pm »
Congress, Senate and all their friggin staffers and employees should be required to enroll in the exact same lack of healthcare plan they want to foist on the rest of America, and I damn well mean have to, no buying outside insurance. If they think it's so good for the rest of America than it better be good enough for them! Want to cut some health care dollars? Quit giving free healthcare that's better than many Americans receive to the damn illegals, they shouldn't be getting a damn thing from American taxpayers...period!

:thumbsup:

Online LMAO

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 12:56:08 am »
We are struggling now to care for the pt's that come in the hospital.

The system would collapse with "free" healthcare. Besides, we can't pay for "Medicare for Some."  How the hell would we pay and provide for everyone with "Medicare for All?"
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 04:49:21 am »
We are struggling now to care for the pt's that come in the hospital.

The system would collapse with "free" healthcare. Besides, we can't pay for "Medicare for Some."  How the hell would we pay and provide for everyone with "Medicare for All?"

It wouldn't collapse.  It's just that many things you consider to be "healthcare" now would no longer fall under that definition.  Tear a ligament?  Sorry, that's not covered.  Bleeding ulcer?  Not covered.  Break your arm?  Find a friend who can help set it, and buy some plaster and gauze at the drug store.  Terminal cancer?  Sorry, no resources for that.  You're gonna die anyway, right?  Government i is now the consumer, not you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-