Author Topic: Update: New Details Emerge In Fatal Bear Attack on Alaska Army Base  (Read 216 times)

rebewranger

Update: New Details Emerge In Fatal Bear Attack on Alaska Army Base
Steven Hill - Yesterday 4:00 PM

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Seth Michael Plant, 30, was killed in a fatal bear attack while on a training exercise in Anchorage, Alaska, Tuesday. Plant was part of a small group from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (JBER) operating in Training Area 412 west of the Anchorage Regional Landfill, according to a statement from the base. A second soldier received minor injuries in the attack.

It's not yet clear what species of bear was responsible for the attack.

Evidence collected at the scene suggests a brown bear was involved in the attack. “From everything we know so far, based on the scene investigation and information from other responding agencies, this appears to be a defensive attack by a female bear protecting her cubs,” Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) said in a statement. Emergency personnel responding to the attack encountered a brown bear in the area and deployed bear spray to drive it away, and a den was found nearby with two brown bear cubs present. Fur collected at the scene was also consistent with a brown bear attack

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/update-new-details-emerge-in-fatal-bear-attack-on-alaska-army-base/ar-AAXajPh?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4ba81fa787fb40228df82d75adc796d9
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 10:35:14 am by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Someone in command actually approved of training exercises in a freaking landfill? Do these cretins not know these are prime areas for wild animals,including bears,to scavenge for food?

Granted,you can run into a bear pretty much anywhere in Alaska,but you ARE going to run into bears at landfills.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Someone in command actually approved of training exercises in a freaking landfill? Do these cretins not know these are prime areas for wild animals,including bears,to scavenge for food?

Granted,you can run into a bear pretty much anywhere in Alaska,but you ARE going to run into bears at landfills.
How about someone in command, in ALASKA, approved a training exercise near a landfill but neglected to have any armed protection in case of oh gosh a bear attack in Alaska near a landfill in mid May when bears are still very hungry after waking up from hibernation in the latter part of April.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How about someone in command, in ALASKA, approved a training exercise near a landfill but neglected to have any armed protection in case of oh gosh a bear attack in Alaska near a landfill in mid May when bears are still very hungry after waking up from hibernation in the latter part of April.

@GtHawk

Isn't that pretty much the same thing I wrote?

Not that it makes any difference. The bottom line is whoever signed off on that brain fart needs to be held accountable in a court-martial.

Even in training exercises in the US where EVERYONE is SUPPOSED to have unloaded weapons,you can bet your ass there are a few senior NCO's walking around with loaded magazines in their pockets,as well as a loaded handgun stuffed under their belts.

When you consider they are supervising training troops that are literally carrying dozens,or even hundreds of full-auto weapons with no ammo and no way to fight to protect themselves if some radical group decides to use guns to steal their weapons from them,it would be irresponsible for these NCO's to do anything else other than be prepared for the worse possible scenario.  After all,they are responsible for the security of the troops under their command,as well as the security of the weapons they are carrying.

And this  isn't even considering the troops are obviously training in remote areas,and there is always the danger of attack by a wild animal that might even have rabies.

Now,keep in mind I have NOT taken any kind of survey  or even asked anyone else.

What I DO know to be a fact is that I was armed with both a loaded handgun and a loaded magazine for M-16's even when I was a civilian role-playing in training exercises.

As I noted above,anything else would have been irresponsible.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@GtHawk

Isn't that pretty much the same thing I wrote?

Not that it makes any difference. The bottom line is whoever signed off on that brain fart needs to be held accountable in a court-martial.

Even in training exercises in the US where EVERYONE is SUPPOSED to have unloaded weapons,you can bet your ass there are a few senior NCO's walking around with loaded magazines in their pockets,as well as a loaded handgun stuffed under their belts.

When you consider they are supervising training troops that are literally carrying dozens,or even hundreds of full-auto weapons with no ammo and no way to fight to protect themselves if some radical group decides to use guns to steal their weapons from them,it would be irresponsible for these NCO's to do anything else other than be prepared for the worse possible scenario.  After all,they are responsible for the security of the troops under their command,as well as the security of the weapons they are carrying.

And this  isn't even considering the troops are obviously training in remote areas,and there is always the danger of attack by a wild animal that might even have rabies.

Now,keep in mind I have NOT taken any kind of survey  or even asked anyone else.

What I DO know to be a fact is that I was armed with both a loaded handgun and a loaded magazine for M-16's even when I was a civilian role-playing in training exercises.

As I noted above,anything else would have been irresponsible.
Not discounting what you wrote Pete, but ok it is kind like what you wrote and then again no it isn't kinda like you wrote.