Author Topic: California Coastal Commission rejects plan for Poseidon desalination plant  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Los Angeles Times By Ian James 5/12/2022

After hearing hours of heated debate, the California Coastal Commission voted against a controversial plan by the company Poseidon Water to build a huge desalination plant in Huntington Beach.

Despite worsening drought and repeated calls from Gov. Gavin Newsom to tap the Pacific Ocean as a source of drinking water, commissioners voted unanimously against the plan Thursday night. The decision, which was recommended by the commission‘s staff, may end the company’s plans for the $1.4-billion plant.

In denying Poseidon a permit, the commission demonstrated its independence from the Newsom administration and also sent the message that high costs, vocal opposition and hazards such as sea-level rise can present major hurdles for large desalination plants on the California coast.

The governor had said California needs the desalination plant to cope with extreme drought, and he recently warned that a vote against the project would be a “big mistake.”

Activists, who called the proposal a boondoggle that would privatize water infrastructure for profit, said the decision was a victory for fact-based regulation over politics.

More: https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2022-05-12/poseidon-desalination-project

Offline Kamaji

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Makes sense, California is in the middle of a historic drought, democrats keep inviting more and more illegals to suck on the states limited resources so why would they approve anything, that has been proven safe and effective in Israel and other countries, to help bring Californians water? I guess that they are afraid that it will put little azzhole darter or some such other ridiculous creature at risk.

Amazingly even Gov. Noisome was in favor of the project but the Coastal Commission showed their complete lack of qualifications, intelligence and balls bowing to pressure from the Gaia worshiping globull warming rising sea level cultists.

It appears that Coastal commissioners don't have to have any qualifications at all except to be a politically appointed crony, and in California that means democrat. They get paid anywhere from around 180k to over 250K plus of course perks all to make decisions on something they don't know jack about. Apparently they could be recalled but that would just result in top democrats installing another unqualified ass.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What? sucking seawater out and removing fresh water from it won't slow "sea level rise" as the fresh water is fed to plants and humans on land? Am I missing something? Or is California determined to suck the interior states dry?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What? sucking seawater out and removing fresh water from it won't slow "sea level rise" as the fresh water is fed to plants and humans on land? Am I missing something? Or is California determined to suck the interior states dry?
You aren't missing anything, this is what happens when put unqualified agenda driven people in positions where they can destroy a state.

Offline PeteS in CA

Activists, who called the proposal a boondoggle that would privatize water infrastructure for profit, said the decision was a victory for fact-based regulation over politics.

So, the water company to which I pay a usage-based monthly bill is a figment of my imagination?

The California Coastal Commission needs to be flayed and gutted alive. Metaphorically, of course. Uncompensated government takings is its MO.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:27:27 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.