Author Topic: 80-1 longshot Rich Strike wins Kentucky Derby… Incredible finish…  (Read 957 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It will be a long time until someone exceeds this performance.

Best I have seen since Secretariat obliterated competition at Belmont.

http://youtu.be/wIYD42DV3Ro

http://youtu.be/8DsQyMvPwtg
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not just a good horse but a really good jockey! Wow!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

Great, exciting race!

I could hear all the groans of the trifecta bettors, lol.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rich Strike is soon to be a gelding... ****slapping
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The few times I have been to the track I always placed a $2 bet on the biggest longshot...in my case it never paid off...lol
Support the USO

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Here is the immortal Secretariat.

The film gave me goosebumps as I recall watching it on tv live.

None will have a better time in my remaining lifetime

http://youtu.be/IOHYWvYCqmg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 06:35:57 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline berdie

Kentucky Derby-Winning Horse Goes On Attack, Gets Punched In Face

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1523077429056704517

more
https://dailycaller.com/2022/05/08/rich-strike-punched-winning-kentucky-derby/

I had a friend that raised thoroughbreds. Once they hit the racing circuit they became...cranky. :laugh: not at all like the pleasure horses I've had in my life. Of course, they were raised like pet dogs. And acted the same.

Offline roamer_1

I had a friend that raised thoroughbreds. Once they hit the racing circuit they became...cranky. :laugh: not at all like the pleasure horses I've had in my life. Of course, they were raised like pet dogs. And acted the same.

Yup... Sorta. I worked with high end arabs and thoroughbreds.. Both super high dollar ranches. But most of them horses never seen the outside. Just their stall and the walk to the indoor arena for daily exercise.

Both places started out great... I am really good with horses and did a whole lot to calm down those flighty skittish petulant horses. Mostly getting them together (they are social herd animals after all) and getting them outside... with a whole lot more time working em and hanging with each... The first ranch kicked me out once they found out my means... Evidently, once a horse is worth so much it loses it's natural needs or something... The second ranch I fared better, but not by much.

Thanks, but I will stick to appys and run of the mill quarters... and Clydes. Folks that own them have more realistic expectations for what a horse does.

Offline berdie

Yup... Sorta. I worked with high end arabs and thoroughbreds.. Both super high dollar ranches. But most of them horses never seen the outside. Just their stall and the walk to the indoor arena for daily exercise.

Both places started out great... I am really good with horses and did a whole lot to calm down those flighty skittish petulant horses. Mostly getting them together (they are social herd animals after all) and getting them outside... with a whole lot more time working em and hanging with each... The first ranch kicked me out once they found out my means... Evidently, once a horse is worth so much it loses it's natural needs or something... The second ranch I fared better, but not by much.

Thanks, but I will stick to appys and run of the mill quarters... and Clydes. Folks that own them have more realistic expectations for what a horse does.

The appy is a great breed. I have no experience dealing with a Clydesdale...except following them around at the state fair. :laugh: Truthfully most of my horses were mutts, much like my dogs and me. They needed a place to be and I had one. In addition to my needy ones,  I had a couple of paints that were great horses. I had a Tennesse Walker that I adored. Riding him was like sitting in a rocking chair. If I were still able to ride, that would be my horse. I do agree with you about them being herd animals and working with them. I fostered a retired racehorse for a time. She was a maniac. But after a time being around my spoiled babies and getting outside...and finally letting me come around her...she rowdied on down quite nicely.

And to the subject of the thread @roamer_1 I would absolutely love for this horse to go the distance. How much fun would that be!!!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not just a good horse but a really good jockey! Wow!

:amen: to that! They make a great team!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

The appy is a great breed. I have no experience dealing with a Clydesdale...except following them around at the state fair. :laugh: Truthfully most of my horses were mutts, much like my dogs and me. They needed a place to be and I had one. In addition to my needy ones,  I had a couple of paints that were great horses. I had a Tennesse Walker that I adored. Riding him was like sitting in a rocking chair. If I were still able to ride, that would be my horse. I do agree with you about them being herd animals and working with them. I fostered a retired racehorse for a time. She was a maniac. But after a time being around my spoiled babies and getting outside...and finally letting me come around her...she rowdied on down quite nicely.

And to the subject of the thread @roamer_1 I would absolutely love for this horse to go the distance. How much fun would that be!!!

@berdie @roamer_1

Many years ago (around 30) I got a phone call from my cousin who worked for a man who was VERY high up in the food chain of Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack and other things) on his ranch at Meridian, Texas.

They raised high end appys on that place among other things (Bison, Barbados sheep, cattle etc.) 

Anyway, back to the phone call.  It seems that they had a colt with great bloodlines but no spots and were looking to get rid of him.  Long story short, if I wanted him all I had to do was come and get him.  I couldn't turn that down so I went and came home with the like six-month-old colt and the back end of my trailer filled with several Barbados sheep that the hands had loaded without asking if I wanted them.  I'll save that part of the story for another time.

That colt turned into the absolute best cow horse I ever owned. STILL miss him.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 11:43:35 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

The appy is a great breed. I have no experience dealing with a Clydesdale...except following them around at the state fair. :laugh:

@berdie

Of course, the Appaloosa, born right here in the northwest, is my favorite horse. You see a ton around here, where a soft step and a thick ankle are as needful as anything else. Appys, Quarters, and Morgans tend to rule the back country around here. Likewise, a mustang around here will likely be from those breeds, not the short coupled little cutting horses like y'all have down there.

I DO love me a Tennessee Walker. I have sat a few, worked a couple... And you are right... That high stepping syncopated gait is the easiest to sit that I have ever known. But I will take an Appaloosa over about any. Just about the best natural mountain horse that there is.

Likewise my affinity for Clydesdales. The work horse has a deep history up in here. And there is something grand in dragging logs behind a good matched pair... Way different from just pulling a wagon or a plow. So naturally, draft horses are measured by that, and are still kept around even as a historic novelty. I learned ground reins early, and can run a team pretty well. And from that, a love of Clydes.

Truthfully most of my horses were mutts, much like my dogs and me. They needed a place to be and I had one. In addition to my needy ones,  I had a couple of paints that were great horses. I had a Tennesse Walker that I adored. Riding him was like sitting in a rocking chair. If I were still able to ride, that would be my horse.

Not that I meant to put on airs... I have worked papered horses, but have never owned any. In fact, my experience on them la-ti-da moneyed ranches soured me plenty on that whole thing. Like my beloved Malamutes, what they look like is good enough to call them so. There is a durability that I admire that does not stay in papered lines.

I do agree with you about them being herd animals and working with them. I fostered a retired racehorse for a time. She was a maniac. But after a time being around my spoiled babies and getting outside...and finally letting me come around her...she rowdied on down quite nicely.

That's the thing, see... And most of why them high-dollar horses are so dang neurotic. Imagine taking something so beautifully made for open pastures and lock it in a stall its whole life... I'd be crazy and jangley too.

A Triple Crown? oh, but wouldn't it be nice. Every now and then, there is a special one that not only wins the crown, but walks away with it... Like it weren't nothing. I always think there will never be another. But every now and then... This one raises that hope, don't it?  happy77

@Bigun

Offline roamer_1

@berdie @roamer_1

Many years ago (around 30) I got a phone call from my cousin who worked for a man who was VERY high up in the food chain of Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack and other things) on his ranch at Meridian, Texas.

They raised high end appys on that place among other things (Bison, Barbados sheep, cattle etc.) 

Anyway, back to the phone call.  It seems that they had a colt with great bloodlines but no spots and were looking to get rid of him.  Long story short, if I wanted him all I had to do was come and get him.  I couldn't turn that down so I went and came home with the like six-month-old colt and the back end of my trailer filled with several Barbados sheep that the hands had loaded without asking if I wanted them.  I'll save that part of the story for another time.

That colt turned into the absolute best cow horse I ever owned. STILL miss him.
[/b]

@Bigun

Cowboy wise, I am too big a dude to sit a little cutting horse. I have always been on something 17 hands or better... Big dude, big horse... well that's for bushwacking, and driving them down out of the ravines and high meadows. Once we are down to the pens, I am likely on the ground. So I have always been on something made for mountains, and that will likely be an Appy.

Would LOVE to breed em. There's a hundred acres on the backside of my place up the holler, and I'll tell you what, that thought goes through my head like an arrow every time I look up that way. But truly, I doubt that will ever happen. If I take on the expense of horses, it would be more likely that I would get a draft team for all you can do with em. A riding horse would be grand, and a string of pack horses or mules would be my style... But I don't see me outfitting much... and a hay-burner sitting around the barn most of the time probably ain't in the cards.

@berdie

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

Cowboy wise, I am too big a dude to sit a little cutting horse. I have always been on something 17 hands or better... Big dude, big horse... well that's for bushwacking, and driving them down out of the ravines and high meadows. Once we are down to the pens, I am likely on the ground. So I have always been on something made for mountains, and that will likely be an Appy.

Would LOVE to breed em. There's a hundred acres on the backside of my place up the holler, and I'll tell you what, that thought goes through my head like an arrow every time I look up that way. But truly, I doubt that will ever happen. If I take on the expense of horses, it would be more likely that I would get a draft team for all you can do with em. A riding horse would be grand, and a string of pack horses or mules would be my style... But I don't see me outfitting much... and a hay-burner sitting around the barn most of the time probably ain't in the cards.

@berdie

I can't recall ever seeing anything so fancy as a Tennessee Walker in this neck of the woods, mostly just working stock and that suits me just fine.  The fact is that most folks around here have mostly abandoned horses as ranch vehicles in favor of motorized things (I'm guilty) and only keep a horse or two around for when you need to pen them, parades, trail rides and such.  Not much brush busting these days either as we now have dogs that handle that chore much more easily than we ever did. I haven't been astride a horse for years now as I leave what little of that we need these days to younger folks still limber enough to bend without breaking. @roamer_1

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I can't recall ever seeing anything so fancy as a Tennessee Walker in this neck of the woods, mostly just working stock and that suits me just fine.  The fact is that most folks around here have mostly abandoned horses as ranch vehicles in favor of motorized things (I'm guilty) and only keep a horse or two around for when you need to pen them, parades, trail rides and such.  Not much brush busting these days either as we now have dogs that handle that chore much more easily than we ever did. I haven't been astride a horse for years now as I leave what little of that we need these days to younger folks still limber enough to bend without breaking. @roamer_1

Yep, @Bigun , I heard that. And it's a cryin shame. My generation is the last I know around here that has actually drove cattle and done a proper roundup. Even in my day, the branding iron had largely gave way to ear tags... I can't imagine roundup without the smell of branding. And yeah... Everybody is on ATVs nowadays. No long lonesome, quiet nights, riding round, singing the cattle to sleep. I don't know how that goes anymore. And I don't want to -- They've taken all the magic and beauty out of it.

As to the other, yeah, I can hardly believe I used to step into the saddle every morning and let a bronc shake his giggles out. I could no more do that now. The mind is more than willing, but the body won't go there no more.

Comes a time for sitting on the porch, and I am getting close to it... If I can get that place up in the holler done,I will holler nuff. Heck, I might just holler nuff anyway and just go fishin.  :shrug: :whistle:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yep, @Bigun , I heard that. And it's a cryin shame. My generation is the last I know around here that has actually drove cattle and done a proper roundup. Even in my day, the branding iron had largely gave way to ear tags... I can't imagine roundup without the smell of branding. And yeah... Everybody is on ATVs nowadays. No long lonesome, quiet nights, riding round, singing the cattle to sleep. I don't know how that goes anymore. And I don't want to -- They've taken all the magic and beauty out of it.

As to the other, yeah, I can hardly believe I used to step into the saddle every morning and let a bronc shake his giggles out. I could no more do that now. The mind is more than willing, but the body won't go there no more.

Comes a time for sitting on the porch, and I am getting close to it... If I can get that place up in the holler done,I will holler nuff. Heck, I might just holler nuff anyway and just go fishin.  :shrug: :whistle:

I guess we should count ourselves lucky to have come along in time to experience the old ways before they went away @roamer_1 My grandfather would get rid of any horse on our place that wouldn't jump some when you stepped aboard.  Said they were no good and he didn't want them.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I guess we should count ourselves lucky to have come along in time to experience the old ways before they went away @roamer_1 My grandfather would get rid of any horse on our place that wouldn't jump some when you stepped aboard.  Said they were no good and he didn't want them.

Your granddad was about right on that one @Bigun ... Besides... they don't really mean it. They nicker seeing you coming and stand for the saddle... Their skin rippling with excitement and being raring to go... They'd want to hit the mountain just as much as I do.

I never took no offense to it... Just our daily pounding out of our partnership contract.  :laugh:
Dear God, how I miss that.

:beer:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Your granddad was about right on that one @Bigun ... Besides... they don't really mean it. They nicker seeing you coming and stand for the saddle... Their skin rippling with excitement and being raring to go... They'd want to hit the mountain just as much as I do.

I never took no offense to it... Just our daily pounding out of our partnership contract.  :laugh:
Dear God, how I miss that.

:beer:

:yowsa:   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

The owners of Rich Strike will not be running him in the Preakness. They will let him "rest" up for the Belmont. 9999hair out0000