Author Topic: I’m allergic to water — and my own tears feel like acid  (Read 327 times)

Online Kamaji

I’m allergic to water — and my own tears feel like acid

By Brooke Kato
May 11, 2022

She’s in unchartered waters.

An Arizona teen is so allergic to water she can’t even cry or shower due to the pain it causes her skin — and she can’t drink it without becoming violently ill.

Abigail Beck has aquagenic urticaria, a rare condition — with only around 100 cases on record — that causes itchy hives upon contact with water. The 15-year-old was diagnosed in April after informing doctors that her tears felt like acid and showering caused her to erupt in hives.

Every time she drinks water, she vomits.

“I cry like a normal person, and it hurts,” she told Kennedy News, describing her tears as “one of the worst parts” because they burn her face. “It runs my life, but I don’t want it to. I throw up if I drink water, my chest hurts really bad and my heart starts beating really fast.”

Due to her extreme allergy, Abigail hasn’t drank a glass of water in a year and instead takes rehydration tablets and consumes energy drinks and pure pomegranate juice.

“I never have the urge to drink water at all,” Jones said. “I don’t want to drink it, the taste is bad for me.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/05/11/im-allergic-to-water-and-my-own-tears-feel-like-acid/

Online Kamaji

Re: I’m allergic to water — and my own tears feel like acid
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 07:45:17 pm »
Really strange .....

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 08:30:15 pm »
Really strange .....
Particularly the claims of how she can drink energy drinks and pomegranate juice—all predominantly water—without a reaction. Something is fishy about this story.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 08:30:59 pm »
Really strange .....

When I started getting better from my illness, one of the major things was water... It was not the water, though... I had developed a pretty bad allergy to chlorine. Who'da thunk it, eh? Water was killing me. Went to a Birky filter to prove it (with the lid left off), and started making real gains in less than a week.

Now I avoid city water and bottled water like the plague. A big part of buying this cabin is that it is served by an artesian spring. No need for chemicals.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 12:11:25 pm »
Particularly the claims of how she can drink energy drinks and pomegranate juice—all predominantly water—without a reaction. Something is fishy about this story.

I don't think it's particularly fishy.  The condition is documented, and she says that she has to look for things that have a water content below a certain point. 

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 12:25:06 pm »
'rehydration tablets'.....just add water?

Online Kamaji