Author Topic: Russia is after YOUR personal data  (Read 993 times)

Offline Kamaji

Russia is after YOUR personal data
« on: May 11, 2022, 06:59:43 pm »
Russia is after YOUR personal data: Experts warn internet users not to download latest online craze New Profile Pic that hoovers up your details and sends them to Moscow

By DARREN BOYLE FOR MAILONLINE
11 May 2022

A new phone app which offers users a free digital avatar is taking facial-recognition quality photographs and sending them to Moscow, prompting major concerns within the cyber security community.

Tens of thousands of people have already uploaded their photographs to the servers of the New Profile Pic app in return to the free avatar. However, many will be unaware that the company behind the app, Linerock Investments, is based in an apartment complex overlooking the Moscow River, beside Russia's Ministry of Defence and just three miles from Red Square.

Jake Moore, Global Cybersecurity Advisor, ESET Internet Security told MailOnline that people have to be incredibly careful when uploading photographs or personal data to a brand new website.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10802211/NewProfilePic-Warning-issued-viral-app-hoover-data-sends-Moscow.html

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Russia is after YOUR personal data
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 07:59:45 pm »
Bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 08:06:07 pm »
As I would never, in a million years, use a "new phone app which offers users a free digital avatar," I'm going to mark myself SAFE from Russki spying for today.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 08:17:07 pm »
Sorry, but I am far more worried about what my own government is doing with my data...

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 08:19:41 pm »
... the Russians just need to ask the Chi-coms for our personal data.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 10:19:10 pm »
No smartphone here.

I do have a "flip phone". Always turned OFF. I don't think it can load/run any apps other than those that are already installed on it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 10:19:58 pm »
Sorry, but I am far more worried about what my own government is doing with my data...

Depending on whether or not one has bank accounts that can be accessed online, the Russians may be more than happy to wipe one's accounts clean, and to also open up - and then drain - new credit card accounts in one's name, provided they get enough personal details to open up such accounts.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 10:32:11 pm »

:bingo:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 10:34:03 pm »
... the Russians just need to ask the Chi-coms for our personal data.
WHy bother to ask the ChiComs? Just hack the NSA and get it all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:36:01 pm »
Depending on whether or not one has bank accounts that can be accessed online, the Russians may be more than happy to wipe one's accounts clean, and to also open up - and then drain - new credit card accounts in one's name, provided they get enough personal details to open up such accounts.
Which is why only a little banking and all e-mail are handled on the computer, not the phone.

No facebook, no twitter, no games on the phone, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 11:44:19 pm »

I am insured for that, and with the exception of local utilities, I buy through paypal. and I have a credit stop in place = no cards possible except the one I have. And the one I have is a debit card, not attached to my main accounts. Other than that one card to bounce the paypal through for online orders, I am all cash.

And I don't do phone apps to speak of - certainly not anything other than vendor stuff. Vendors I always do business with.

Besides, you can't get blood from a turnip.   :seeya: