Author Topic: Senate eyes quick passage of security for Supreme Court family members  (Read 456 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Senate eyes quick passage of security for Supreme Court family members
by Jordain Carney - 05/09/22 2:52 PM ET

The Senate is moving to quickly try to pass legislation that would extend security to family members of Supreme Court justices amid protests at the homes of members of the court following the leak of a draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade.

Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas) and Chris Coons (D-Del.) introduced legislation last week to formally allow the Supreme Court of the United States Police to provide around-the-clock protection to family members, in line with the security some executive and congressional officials get.

Two aides told The Hill on Monday that senators are aiming to quickly pass the bill by unanimous consent, which requires the buy-in of all 100 senators and would let it bypass a formal vote. One of the sources told The Hill that the bill should pass the Senate on Monday or Tuesday.

“Given the ongoing threat posed to some of the Court’s Justices and their families, Sen. Cornyn is working to pass this bill as soon as possible,” a spokesperson for the Texas Republican said.

Any one senator could object and block the Senate from passing the bill without a formal vote, which would require Senate leaders to either shelve the bill or eat up days of precious floor time.

The bill was introduced by the two senators on Thursday, roughly three days after the leak of the draft decision, penned by Justice Samuel Alito, that would strike down the constitutional right to an abortion. Politico, citing a source, reported that four other justices — Clarence Thomas, Brett Kavanaugh, Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett — were prepared to vote with Alito, giving them a majority to strike down Roe.

more
https://thehill.com/news/senate/3482047-senate-eyes-quick-passage-of-security-for-supreme-court-family-members/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

So, let's see whose willing to vote against security for the Supreme Court justices.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm wondering if this can get through the House...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Instead of closing the barn door now that the horses have escaped, how about our esteemed Senate remember this ..... and start throwing people in jail?

Mike Davis
@mrddmia

There’s no First Amendment right to protest at a federal judge’s home, to influence a pending case.

That’s obstruction of justice, under 18 U.S.C. § 1507.

The litigants’ due process rights trump this narrow time, place, and manner restriction.

Home protests endanger judges.

9:34 PM · May 8, 2022  Twitter for iPhone

Offline Right_in_Virginia

When it comes to finally locking up people, start with this schmuck ....

"Chuck Schumer, threatening Supreme Court justices at an abortion rally in 2020: "I want to tell you Gorsuch. I want to tell you Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won't know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanODonnellShow/status/1523675849136160770

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I predict enough Rats will reject it, and kill it with a filibuster.  Or it will either fail in the House or be Vetoed by a President who loves this.

I really can't imagine them backing down from their condoning this behavior.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: