Author Topic: DeSantis requires Florida students to learn about ‘victims of communism’  (Read 786 times)

Offline Kamaji

DeSantis requires Florida students to learn about ‘victims of communism’

By Selim Algar
May 9, 2022

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation Monday requiring Sunshine State students to learn about the “Victims of Communism” in high school.

Beginning in the 2023-2024 academic year, high school students enrolled in US government courses will get at least 45 minutes of instruction each November 7 describing how “victims suffered under these regimes through poverty, starvation, migration, systemic lethal violence, and suppression of speech.”

DeSantis inked the law at the Freedom Tower in Miami, where 650,000 Cubans were processed after fleeing their homeland upon Fidel Castro’s seizure of power in 1959.

“I think this tower is a reminder that freedom is not free, that you have to fight for your rights and that there are a lot of people out there that would love nothing more than to put you under some form of oppression,” DeSantis said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/05/09/desantis-makes-nov-7-victims-of-communism-day-in-fl-schools/

Offline Kamaji

Something else that won't sit well with the Groomers in FL. schools.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Why would he do this?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Cuba. 

Is this considered a bad thing?

Offline roamer_1

Why would he do this?

I am HAPPY he is doing this. Changing hearts begins with countering the propaganda funneled into young skulls full of mush. Almost nothing would be more important than to begin demanding the TRUTH be taught to our children.

Offline roamer_1

Pretty sure I can vote for this guy.

I am HAPPY he is doing this. Changing hearts begins with countering the propaganda funneled into young skulls full of mush. Almost nothing would be more important than to begin demanding the TRUTH be taught to our children.

I can't argue with this.  But the way he's doing it is confusing.

On the one hand, DeSantis stands on the high moral ground vis-a-vis CRT,  sexual grooming and parental rights.  Now he's apparently choosing a "good" political philosophy.  How long will it take the political enemy to jump on this, burying all his good work in an avalanche of mud?

Don't get me wrong, I applaud his obective, just not his method.

How about a mandatory American civics curriculum in elementary, middle and high school with an increasing emphasis on the constitution and why it stands unique in the world?

How about a mandatory economics curriculum where communism can be covered in depth----including its rippling human devastation?

Offline roamer_1

On the one hand, DeSantis stands on the high moral ground vis-a-vis CRT,  sexual grooming and parental rights.  Now he's apparently choosing a "good" political philosophy.  How long will it take the political enemy to jump on this, burying all his good work in an avalanche of mud?

@Right_in_Virginia

Well... they tried. And tried again. So far he has taken a rather Reaganesque stance - He don't get sideways. and he sure as hell don't back up. All while maintaining a decent demeanor.

How about a mandatory American civics curriculum in elementary, middle and high school with an increasing emphasis on the constitution and why it stands unique in the world?

How about a mandatory economics curriculum where communism can be covered in depth----including its rippling human devastation?

Great ideas... But every journey begins with a single step. And importantly, every increment he employs is another time for the left  to go absolutely looney-tunes, while he remains unruffled.

Who winds up looking like the grown-up in the room?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Is this considered a bad thing?

Only to RIV.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Only to RIV.

I realize my post was rather complex @Wingnut  ..... so take some time and read it again.  Hint:  My point can be found between political expediency and long term effectiveness.