Author Topic: California says it needs more power to keep the lights on  (Read 2354 times)

Online mountaineer

California says it needs more power to keep the lights on
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:25:06 pm »
May 6, 20226:48 PM EDT
California says it needs more power to keep the lights on
By Nichola Groom
Reuters
May 6 (Reuters) - California energy officials on Friday issued a sober forecast for the state's electrical grid, saying it lacks sufficient capacity to keep the lights on this summer and beyond if heatwaves, wildfires or other extreme events take their toll.

The update from leaders from three state agencies and the office of Governor Gavin Newsom comes in response to a string of challenges with the ambitious transition away from fossil fuels, including rolling blackouts during a summer heat wave in 2020.

California has among the most aggressive climate change policies in the world, including a goal of producing all of its electricity from carbon-free sources by 2045.

In an online briefing with reporters, the officials forecast a potential shortfall of 1,700 megawatts this year, a number that could go as high as 5,000 MW if the grid is taxed by multiple challenges that reduce available power while sending demand soaring, state officials said during an online briefing with reporters. ...
More

James Woods
@RealJamesWoods
But let’s charge 20,000,000 electric cars every day as well…
11:07 PM · May 6, 2022

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: California says it needs more power to keep the lights on
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 12:39:57 am »
@mountaineer

Tell 'em to light candles.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 01:08:43 am »
Tough shit. You did it to your own ignorant selves.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 03:14:35 am »
So now Gavin Newsom is going after federal bailout money to keep Diablo Canyon open?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 08:10:14 am »
Hook up generators to the treadmills in the gyms.
(no motors, make 'em manuals)
It won't solve the problem, but it would be fun to watch.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 10:16:21 am »
Kin folk said move away from there
Said California is Not the place you oughta be
So they loaded up the truck and they moved away from Beverly
Hills that is, cesspools, dumbass movie stars, liberals
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 12:41:01 pm »
Tell 'em to light candles.
Probably prohibited for creating air pollution.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 01:37:47 pm »
Just crank up those electric cars...  :whistle:

Oh, wait...:thud:

Nevermind. :shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 01:56:01 pm »
Tough shit. You did it to your own ignorant selves.
While I understand many of the sentiments on this thread, many of us did not "did not do it to ourselves". 

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) which makes many of the policies from which these decisions spring was created by then governor Ronald Reagan.  It is no longer scientifically driven, it's now ideologically driven.  Many on the "board" are not scientists, engineers or otherwise qualified to be making the decisions they do.  The members are appointed by the governor and approved by the CA Senate with no discernible term limit.  Only 4 of 16 voting members are considered "experts". It's a reward for dem loyalists who make many of the most insane decisions ever known to man.  These are the people coming up with and implementing many of these policies.  Newscum and his associates need only point to them as the culprits, they are unaccountable.

That being said, CARB recently announced that selling small gasoline engines of all types is banned commencing in 2024, to include power generators.  Currently, if you have one, you can keep it, but who knows for how long.

What this means is that they'll charge exorbitant rates for power due to paying market rates, while having $6 a gallon gas, while banning generators all to "promote" green energy.   Behavior modification on a statewide scale.

It's going to be an interesting few years...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 02:02:18 pm »
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) which makes many of the policies from which these decisions spring was created by then governor Ronald Reagan.  It is no longer scientifically driven, it's now ideologically driven.

What role did this air resource board play in the decision to mothball nuclear power plants?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 04:08:28 pm »

I would be getting the hell out... Jussayin.

But then, I heat with wood, mostly for free... And can't imagine not having small engine equipment... The mowers, the tiller, the chipper and the jenny being paramount... And how do you go get firewood without a chainsaw? How do you clean up after a storm? What, HAND DIG the garden?

It's a life I just can't imagine.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 04:21:25 pm »
While I understand many of the sentiments on this thread, many of us did not "did not do it to ourselves". 

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) which makes many of the policies from which these decisions spring was created by then governor Ronald Reagan.  It is no longer scientifically driven, it's now ideologically driven.  Many on the "board" are not scientists, engineers or otherwise qualified to be making the decisions they do.  The members are appointed by the governor and approved by the CA Senate with no discernible term limit.  Only 4 of 16 voting members are considered "experts". It's a reward for dem loyalists who make many of the most insane decisions ever known to man.  These are the people coming up with and implementing many of these policies.  Newscum and his associates need only point to them as the culprits, they are unaccountable.

That being said, CARB recently announced that selling small gasoline engines of all types is banned commencing in 2024, to include power generators.  Currently, if you have one, you can keep it, but who knows for how long.

What this means is that they'll charge exorbitant rates for power due to paying market rates, while having $6 a gallon gas, while banning generators all to "promote" green energy.   Behavior modification on a statewide scale.

That's like shooting yourself in both feet and trying to run a marathon.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 04:22:01 pm »

But then, I heat with wood, mostly for free... And can't imagine not having small engine equipment... The mowers, the tiller, the chipper and the jenny being paramount... And how do you go get firewood without a chainsaw? How do you clean up after a storm? What, HAND DIG the garden?

:beer:

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 09:32:32 pm »
What role did this air resource board play in the decision to mothball nuclear power plants?
None I'm aware of, but there are many groups interested in eliminating nuclear.

Here's a pretty good article that helps explain many of the "reasons".

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/02/why-is-california-closing-diablo-canyon-nuclear-plant.html
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 09:34:46 pm »

They're pushing all rechargeable "appliances"...more strain on the grid.  Many thousands of gardeners and landscapers due to go out of business as a result.

"I would be getting the hell out... Jussayin."
We will be...less than 2 years to retirement and then we're out.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 09:45:33 pm »
They're pushing all rechargeable "appliances"...more strain on the grid.  Many thousands of gardeners and landscapers due to go out of business as a result.

:crossed: :beer:

Offline DB

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 10:17:10 pm »
So now Gavin Newsom is going after federal bailout money to keep Diablo Canyon open?

It is likely too late. All the long lead time supply chains to support Diablo Canyon have been closed down, from fuel rods to other specialized equipment that has to be maintained and many of the people related to that have left the company.

The idiots did this to themselves all the while banning natural gas in new homes and demanding everyone switch to electric vehicles.

The stupidity is astounding.

Arizona better not bail them out increasing the cost to Arizonians for electricity.

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 10:25:22 pm »

The primary "problem" was heating of the ocean near the power plant. The reactors are cooled by sea water. The environmentalist have been screaming that this heating of the water destroyed the native habitat there. It instead became populated with warmer water sea life that "wasn't native". The state of California demanded that PG&E no longer do this. The cost of putting in cooling towers on a plant that wasn't designed for them was too high and PG&E decided to close it down instead.

So California absolutely did this to themselves. I lived in San Luis Obispo county where Diablo Canyon is for nearly 50 years.

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2022, 10:26:38 pm »

Left nearly 4 years ago after living there for nearly 50 years. The state ran me out.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2022, 11:01:48 pm »

Arizona better not bail them out increasing the cost to Arizonians for electricity.

I agree.  AFAIK, APS has been selling power from Palo Verde to Cali for years.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 11:26:06 pm »
Left nearly 4 years ago after living there for nearly 50 years. The state ran me out.

I hope the Arizona environment has been better for you and your company... :0001:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 12:24:42 am »

When you move to Montana, just don't let anyone there know you're from Cali.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 12:41:27 am »

Hope he doesn't want to raise him up a crop of dental floss.
 Raisin' it up Waxin' it down...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 02:55:23 am »
Hope he doesn't want to raise him up a crop of dental floss.
 Raisin' it up Waxin' it down...

Next thing you know, he's gonna be a Toss Flycoon....
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 05:35:23 am »

That's a thing alright... But also not a thing... I have punched cows with fellers from down in the Sierras.
Rednecks are rednecks, even in California. Them kind fit in here just fine.