Author Topic: Smells Like ‘68: Foreboding Parallels for Democrats in 2024  (Read 548 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
May 11, 2024
Smells Like ‘68: Foreboding Parallels for Democrats in 2024
By William Sullivan

This election season, there are many parallels to the election year of 1968 on display, and none of it bodes well for Democrats’ chances in November.

It didn’t work out for Democrats back then, certainly, with Republican Richard Nixon handily defeating Hubert Humphrey, and Republicans picking up a net five seats in both the Senate and the House, along with a net gain of five governorships.

Here are a few of these observed similarities.

Radical leftists are again eating their own

The first parallel, which many have already noted, is that the Democratic National Convention (DNC) will be again held in Chicago in August of this year, as it was in a politically contentious 1968.  Recent events signify that the city may again be witness to mass protests outside the DNC, just as when “tens of thousands of protestors swarmed the streets to rally against the Vietnam War and the political status quo” in 1968. 

Pacifying those radicals without alienating the political center will be difficult.  But this is the Faustian bargain that Democrats chose, then and now.

By 1968, there had been an explosion of outrage over American military defense of South Vietnam against the aggression of the communist North Vietnam.  Escalation in this Cold War conflict had occurred over many presidencies, and as such, the communist-sympathizing activists on college campuses viewed this as a systemic result of the American political status quo. 

Sen. Bernie Sanders recently argued that the Israel-Hamas conflict might become “Biden’s Vietnam.”  Politically, he may be right.  America is divided today on the conflict in the Middle East, and in a way that presents something of a catch-22 for Biden’s administration as it did for Democrats in 1968.

In December of 1967, 34% of polled Americans wanted to “get out” of Vietnam.  33% wanted a negotiated peace, while 26% wanted a total victory.  This signifies a slight edge to public support for “full withdrawal” over “total victory” among the public, but that middle ground covers an awful lot of potential dispositions about that war.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/05/smells_like_68_foreboding_parallels_for_democrats_in_2024.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Smells Like ‘68: Foreboding Parallels for Democrats in 2024
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 10:55:38 pm »
"The whole world is watching !!
The whole world is watching !!"

I remember.
Do you?

Offline DB

Re: Smells Like ‘68: Foreboding Parallels for Democrats in 2024
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 10:57:36 pm »
"The whole world is watching !!
The whole world is watching !!"

I remember.
Do you?

No, I was six...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
No, I was six...

Me neither, I was 10.  But I remember the 2 years of black riots leading up to it.  I lived about 100 miles from Detroit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline corbe

I've been saying this for 6 months. 
   Nixon went on to beat Humprey by a whooping, 110 EV's.  Can Trump do the same in the age of election fraud? 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

I've been saying this for 6 months. 
   Nixon went on to beat Humprey by a whooping, 110 EV's.  Can Trump do the same in the age of election fraud?

Trump won't win many of the states that Nixon won. Nixon carried California, Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Illinois

Trump will probably not carry any of them. He won my state(Wi) by a narrowest of margins in 2016 because that year had one of the lowest voter turnouts especial In Milwaukee County. Had that county followed previous voting patterns, Hillary would have won
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Trump won't win many of the states that Nixon won. Nixon carried California, Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Illinois

Trump will probably not carry any of them. He won my state(Wi) by a narrowest of margins in 2016 because that year had one of the lowest voter turnouts especial In Milwaukee County. Had that county followed previous voting patterns, Hillary would have won

Despite what you keep saying, I refuse to give up and quit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline LMAO

Despite what you keep saying, I refuse to give up and quit.

Ok...fine :shrug:

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

If the pro HAMAS wing of the Democrat Party decides, as a protest vote, to not vote for Biden, that is a serious threat to his re election. The Biden people know that. Look at their actions when it comes to Israel as of late.

If they stay home in 2024 in enough numbers like they did in 2016, then Trump could squeak out a win

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

From the article....

Pacifying those radicals without alienating the political center will be difficult. 

The Biden administration has already made their choice

Barry Goldwater

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Interesting comparison between the preparations of Chicago and Milwaukee for the Conventions.

In Chicago, the protest location for the Hamas fans is 3 miles from the venue.

In Milwaukee it's a quarter mile.  And the Chief of Police says he considers the GOP Delegates a much worse threat than the Hamas rioters.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

From the article....

Pacifying those radicals without alienating the political center will be difficult. 

The Biden administration has already made their choice

The "political center" won't likely riot unlike the left wing. So he's placating the side what will do the most damage at the convention.

Offline LMAO

The "political center" won't likely riot unlike the left wing. So he's placating the side what will do the most damage at the convention.

And the left wing wants the elimination of Israel. Most Americans do not

The DNC convention will be more interesting than the GOP convention

Barry Goldwater

Offline DB

And the left wing wants the elimination of Israel. Most Americans do not

The DNC convention will be more interesting than the GOP convention

I'm not disagreeing. Just saying the fireworks come from the far left and if Biden goes far left they'll have less to combust about. The "most Americans" won't riot over it.