Author Topic: NORAD’s VanHerck says artificial intelligence capabilities lacking  (Read 81 times)

rebewranger

NORAD’s VanHerck says artificial intelligence capabilities lacking
By Colin Demarest
 Tuesday, Apr 26

U.S. Air Force Gen. Glen VanHerck, commander of Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense

WASHINGTON — U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command lack the artificial intelligence capabilities needed to do their jobs to the fullest and maintain an edge over rival nations, according to the leader of both organizations.

“My assessment today is I don’t have what I need, as far as artificial intelligence and machine learning, to give the decision space to the president, secretary of defense, the chief of defense staff in Canada, the minister of defense and the prime minister in Canada,” Air Force Gen. Glen VanHerck said at a Defense Writers Group event April 25.

VanHerck is the commander of NORTHCOM and NORAD. The former is responsible for guarding the continental U.S. and its surroundings. The latter combines U.S. and Canadian efforts to monitor and protect North American airspace, among other things.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/artificial-intelligence/2022/04/26/norads-vanherck-says-artificial-intelligence-capabilities-lacking/