Author Topic: Ukraine 2  (Read 98675 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ukraine 2
« Reply #1300 on: June 26, 2022, 10:03:59 pm »
It doesn't mean he's given Belarus actual nukes, but if a nuke hits Kyiv from there it will be deep schitt.
The obvious retaliatory target would be in Belarus, not Moscow. So, if Russia 'accidentally' ships a nuke, well, oops. If we had a real president, he'd make sure the consequences of any such 'oversight' would be dire, and it would be known.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #1301 on: June 27, 2022, 01:34:08 am »
It doesn't mean he's given Belarus actual nukes, but if a nuke hits Kyiv from there it will be deep schitt.

Sending nuclear capable missiles to Belarus and firing cruise missiles from Belarus air space is an indicator that Russia is not doing well. They have been grinding forward very slowly, but they are suffering losses just like Ukraine or worse. Russia has depleted a lot of resources for a small amount of territory. Ukraine has not broken even though they are losing a lot of men. Now HMRLs are arriving and as the lend lease program kicks in more modern equipment will be coming.

Putin is trying to escalate leading into an attempted de-escalation.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1302 on: June 27, 2022, 02:57:47 pm »
Tracking where Russia is taking Ukraine's stolen grain

By Nick Beake, Maria Korenyuk and Reality Check team
BBC News
June 27, 2022

There's mounting evidence that Russian forces in occupied areas of Ukraine have been systematically stealing grain and other produce from local farmers. The BBC has talked to farmers and analysed satellite images and shipping data to track where the grain is going.

A few dozen miles from the frontline, Ukrainian farmer Dmytro describes how the business he nurtured over 25 years was lost in four months of Russian occupation.

The BBC tried to contact more than 200 farmers whose land is now in Russian-occupied territory. Dmytro - we are not using his real name to protect him from reprisals - was one of the few willing to meet us.

"They stole our grain. They destroyed our premises, destroyed our equipment."

He says Russian forces now occupy 80% of the tens of thousands of hectares he farms and accuses them of stealing grain on an industrial scale.

CCTV from one of the company's sites captured the moment the Russians arrived. We've blurred some of the surroundings to protect the identities of the farm owners.

Later in the footage, one soldier spots a security camera and shoots at it, but misses.

Grain trucks were stolen and Dmytro says a couple of them had GPS trackers fitted.

We were able to use this data to see they had gone south into Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014, and then on to Russia.

Source:  https://www.bbc.com/news/61790625

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1303 on: June 27, 2022, 03:01:17 pm »
Ukraine war in maps: Tracking the Russian invasion

By The Visual Journalism Team
BBC News
June 27, 2022

Heavy fighting continues in east Ukraine, with key locations under intense bombardment from Russian forces.

Here are the latest developments:

* Russian missile have struck Kyiv for the first time since April

* Russian forces consolidated control over eastern city of Severodonetsk

* Russian troops are continuing to attack Ukrainian positions north of Kharkiv city

* Ukrainian positions in the south have come under shelling

Source:  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1304 on: June 27, 2022, 05:00:45 pm »
Scenes of Horror as Putin Hits Mall With ‘1,000 People’ Inside

Shannon Vavra
Mon, June 27, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Russia fired a series of rockets at a shopping center in Kremenchuk, Ukraine, on Monday, raising alarm bells that Russia is stepping up its attacks on civilian structures regardless of the loss of life.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Monday there were more than a thousand civilians inside the shopping mall and the casualties to come might bring even more shock and horror to Ukrainian people already confronting so much death and destruction as Russia has been waging war in Ukraine for 124 days.

“The number of victims is impossible to imagine,” Zelensky said on Telegram. “The mall is on fire, rescuers are fighting the fire.”

more

https://twitter.com/grishchukroma/status/1541428135366909958
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1305 on: June 27, 2022, 10:00:05 pm »
The obvious retaliatory target would be in Belarus, not Moscow. So, if Russia 'accidentally' ships a nuke, well, oops. If we had a real president, he'd make sure the consequences of any such 'oversight' would be dire, and it would be known.

@Smokin Joe

Not to worry,I am positive Biden and his handlers are already taking bids to not intervene.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1306 on: June 27, 2022, 10:41:37 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Not to worry,I am positive Biden and his handlers are already taking bids to not intervene.
I am not so sure the Chinese would ante up much for that. Gotta be Russia Russia Russia...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1307 on: June 28, 2022, 04:54:31 pm »
Scenes of Horror as Putin Hits Mall With ‘1,000 People’ Inside

Shannon Vavra
Mon, June 27, 2022 at 10:14 AM

Russia fired a series of rockets at a shopping center in Kremenchuk, Ukraine, on Monday, raising alarm bells that Russia is stepping up its attacks on civilian structures regardless of the loss of life.

Hovhannes
@JughaFedayi

The red bricks of the building across the lake indicate that Russia explicitly hit the Kredmash plant, and not the mall. The blast location is nowhere near the mall.

8:07 AM · Jun 28, 2022  Twitter Web App

Russians With Attitude
@RWApodcast

That would make sense. Burning debris or just the fire spreading from the first missile that hit the southern part of the factory. It's quite obvious from the damage that the mall wasn't directly hit by a missile.

9:00 AM · Jun 28, 2022  Twitter Web App

« Reply #1308 on: June 28, 2022, 04:57:34 pm »
"Video of the factory after the Russian missile strike."

https://mobile.twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1541754999671242753

« Reply #1309 on: June 28, 2022, 05:02:50 pm »
AFP News Agency
@AFP

Russia offensive can end as soon as Ukraine surrenders: Kremlin

6:42 AM · Jun 28, 2022  TweetDeck

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1310 on: June 28, 2022, 05:05:21 pm »
AFP News Agency
@AFP

War Crimes and the wholesale massacre of civilians can end as soon as Russia gets the hell out of Ukraine.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1311 on: June 28, 2022, 05:09:18 pm »
"Video of the factory after the Russian missile strike."

So where is the overhead 'after' photo of the factory?  Oops.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1312 on: June 28, 2022, 05:29:28 pm »
AFP News Agency
@AFP

6:42 AM · Jun 28, 2022  TweetDeck

Either the author doesn't understand why people fight wars, or he/she/it simply wants Russia to subjugate the entire country soon-to-be formerly known as Ukraine.  Being a French news source, it could be either.  There's a reason rational people call the French "cheese eating surrender monkeys."

We could have avoided the Civil War by simply caving in to the Democrats and let them keep their slaves.  The War of 1812 could have been avoided it we simply said, "You know, you're right!  We can't cut this running our own country's business.  Please enjoy the marshmallow roast at our Capitol building."

The post I'm quoting is an example of this, and it requires zero brains to just type it out on a website.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1313 on: June 28, 2022, 09:45:58 pm »
Either the author doesn't understand why people fight wars, or he/she/it simply wants Russia to subjugate the entire country soon-to-be formerly known as Ukraine.  Being a French news source, it could be either.  There's a reason rational people call the French "cheese eating surrender monkeys."

We could have avoided the Civil War by simply caving in to the Democrats and let them keep their slaves.  The War of 1812 could have been avoided it we simply said, "You know, you're right!  We can't cut this running our own country's business.  Please enjoy the marshmallow roast at our Capitol building."

The post I'm quoting is an example of this, and it requires zero brains to just type it out on a website.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1314 on: June 29, 2022, 11:31:14 pm »

CNN Video:
'Our relationship is on pause': Ukraine's first lady on coping with personal strain of war

CNN's Christiane Amanpour speaks with Olena Zelenska, Ukraine's first lady and wife of President Volodymyr Zelensky, about how like so many Ukrainian families, the Russian invasion has forced them to live apart for so long.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1315 on: June 29, 2022, 11:48:43 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline bilo

« Reply #1316 on: June 30, 2022, 01:32:18 am »

CNN Video:

Sometimes spouses of politicians should just not say anything. I'm sure things are tough right now, but the men and women on the front lines fighting the invaders have it a whole lot worse.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1317 on: June 30, 2022, 08:15:36 am »
Sometimes spouses of politicians should just not say anything. I'm sure things are tough right now, but the men and women on the front lines fighting the invaders have it a whole lot worse.
"On pause" doesn't mean she is changing channels. It's like Mrs. Joe and I did for decades, when I was out on a job. She ran the household, I went out to a well and made money.
Then we picked up when I got back. Well, except for the last time.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1318 on: June 30, 2022, 12:27:47 pm »
Russian troops abandon Ukraine’s strategic Snake Island

By Emily Crane
June 30, 2022

Invading Russian troops were forced to flee the strategic Black Sea outpost of Snake Island on speedboats Thursday, in a major victory for Ukraine.

Snake Island, which Russia seized on the first day of its invasion, made international headlines after Ukrainian border guards stationed there told an invading Russian warship to “go f–k yourself.”

“KABOOM! No Russian troops on the Snake Island anymore. Our Armed Forces did a great job,” Andriy Yermak, head of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s office, tweeted.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/30/ukraine-claims-back-snake-island-after-russia-retreats/

Offline bilo

« Reply #1319 on: June 30, 2022, 05:15:49 pm »
"On pause" doesn't mean she is changing channels. It's like Mrs. Joe and I did for decades, when I was out on a job. She ran the household, I went out to a well and made money.
Then we picked up when I got back. Well, except for the last time.

I understand what she was talking about, but my point was when others are dying it's best to not say anything or to make the point that any disruption to her life is nothing compared to the sacrifices of others. IOW, always put those that are paying the highest price first in any comments.

Offline bilo

« Reply #1320 on: June 30, 2022, 05:19:49 pm »
Russian troops abandon Ukraine’s strategic Snake Island

By Emily Crane
June 30, 2022

Invading Russian troops were forced to flee the strategic Black Sea outpost of Snake Island on speedboats Thursday, in a major victory for Ukraine.

Snake Island, which Russia seized on the first day of its invasion, made international headlines after Ukrainian border guards stationed there told an invading Russian warship to “go f–k yourself.”

“KABOOM! No Russian troops on the Snake Island anymore. Our Armed Forces did a great job,” Andriy Yermak, head of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s office, tweeted.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/06/30/ukraine-claims-back-snake-island-after-russia-retreats/

Wow, I missed this. I believe one of the reasons Russia wanted Snake island was to establish air defense systems and anti-missile systems there.

Now if Brandon would let Ukraine attack the bridge connecting Crimea and Russia retaking Kherson becomes a better possibility.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1321 on: July 01, 2022, 06:20:45 am »
Russian missile strikes on Odesa apartments and recreation centre kill 17, Ukraine says

Children among the dead and injured in twin missile attacks in the southern port city of Odesa early on Friday, say Ukrainian officials

Samantha Lock  |  1 Jul 2022 00.35 EDT

At least 17 people have been killed after two Russian missiles struck a multi-storey apartment building and a recreation centre in the southern port city of Odesa in the early hours of Friday, Ukrainian officials have said.

Ukraine’s armed forces issued an alert urging residents to seek shelter after three explosions and air raid alarms were heard just before 1am local time.

Odesa’s military spokesman, Sergei Bratchuk, added that an “enemy missile” had struck the southern port city in an update posted to his official Telegram channel just before 2am. “Unfortunately, there are casualties,” he added.

Bratchuk later said the missile attack was carried out by “strategic aircraft” from the direction of the Black Sea.

“One rocket hit a nine-storey residential building, the other – in a recreation centre in the Belgorod-Dniester region,” he said.  .  .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/01/russian-missile-strikes-on-odesa-apartments-and-recreation-centre-kill-17-ukraine-says

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #1322 on: July 01, 2022, 07:40:34 pm »
Retreat from Kyiv, a bridge too far in Donbas, and the sinking of the Moskva: Fleeing from Snake Island is just the latest in a long line of humiliating defeats for Russia's army in Ukraine

By CHRIS PLEASANCE FOR MAILONLINE
1 July 2022

A 'gesture of goodwill': That was how the Kremlin tried to play off its retreat from Ukraine's Snake Island on Thursday, after commanders gave up hope of holding the strategic spit of land under withering artillery fire.

It is the same phrase that Putin's lackeys used to try and cover up their ignominious retreat from Kyiv, Chernihiv and Sumy back in early April, as the first phase of their war in Ukraine spectacularly failed.

But those are far from the only battlefield blunders to have left Russia's red army red-faced: From an early defeat trying to take Hostomel airfield to failed river crossings in the Donbas and the sinking of flagship Moskva, there have been plenty of embarrassing moments for Putin and his commanders.

Here, MailOnline takes a look back at all the defeats that have shamed what was once considered to be the world's second-best military...

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10972775/Fleeing-Snake-Island-just-latest-defeat-Russia-Ukraine.html

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1323 on: July 01, 2022, 11:17:39 pm »
Ukraine Has Exposed Russia as a Not-So-Great Power

The Atlantic by Phillips Payson O’Brien 7/1/2022

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/rethinking-russia-ukraine-international-political-power-military-strength/661452/

Kyiv’s success against Moscow forces us to reexamine our assumptions about what it means to be powerful.

In times of peace, much of what anyone says about national power is guesswork. Different claims can be based on hopes, prejudices, or even simple self-interest. Analysts and experts can speak confidently about how some states are undoubtedly great powers while others are weak, that some countries are led by strategic geniuses and others by corrupt incompetents. The statements can sound eminently plausible as facts, even be downright persuasive, because there is no way of knowing the truth.

Until, that is, a war breaks out. The Russia-Ukraine war is now cutting through much of the nonsense that dominated the discussion of international power politics, posing particular challenges to blasé assumptions about what makes a state powerful, and what makes a country’s leadership effective. This reassessment doesn’t just concern the question of debatable prewar military analysis of Russia and Ukraine, or theories of international relations. Instead, it is aimed at the whole way we think about how countries interact with one another, about national power, and about leadership.

The best place to start is the widespread notion going into the war that we were witnessing a clash between a great power controlled by an experienced, savvy—some even said brilliant—leader and a small state weakened by national division and led by a second-rate former comedian. This great power–small power dynamic was accepted practically universally among a group of scholars and analysts who have proclaimed themselves “realists.”

Maybe the most famous realist in the world is Henry Kissinger, the former U.S. secretary of state and a longtime believer in the notion of great leaders and great powers. Kissinger, who met regularly with Vladimir Putin, has been arguing for forcing Kyiv to make concessions such as the handing over of the Crimea, internationally recognized as part of Ukraine but annexed by Moscow in 2014, to the Russians. To Kissinger, it has been important that the United States treat Russia as a “great power” and that it accepted Moscow’s claim to have a special interest in Ukraine.

Academics, too, subscribe to this notion. In lectures, media appearances, and articles in the months before the invasion, well-known figures such as John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt described the Russia-Ukraine relationship as operating in the well-worn great power–small power framework. In this analysis, Putin was the clever strategist with a strong grasp on what he wanted, while the Ukrainians were weak, and it would be better for the world if their status was determined by the strong. Russia was, in Mearsheimer’s view, one of only “three great powers” in the world, and Putin was a rationalist, just wanting to secure a buffer state on his border, something Ukraine would have to deal with. Meanwhile, as Walt put it, Ukraine would have to accept the oppression and subjugation of its people to Russian interests because “great-power war is worse and brings much more suffering.” Other analysts, such as Samuel Charap, even believed that Russia was so strong, and would crush a weak Ukraine so easily, that the West should provide no support for Kyiv, because it would all be wasted when the Russian steamroller attacked.

More at link.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1324 on: July 02, 2022, 12:21:05 am »
Ukraine demands the seizure of Russian-flagged grain ship off Turkey

Ukraine has called for a ship carrying grain from a Russian-occupied part of the country to be seized.

The ship is currently lying off the Turkish coast.

We've monitored the Russian-flagged ship, the Zhibek Zholy, on its route from the Ukrainian port of Berdyansk to the Turkish port of Karasu.

It is not clear where its cargo came from or how it was obtained, but Russia has been accused of stealing grain from areas of Ukraine it controls - allegations Russia denies............

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62010113
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.