Author Topic: Oklahoma GOP governor signs 6-week abortion ban modeled after Texas law that allows civil enforcemen  (Read 504 times)

Offline Hoodat

Oklahoma GOP governor signs 6-week abortion ban modeled after Texas law that allows civil enforcement

Veronica Stracqualursi, CNN  |  May 3, 2022  |  9:05 PM ET

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt on Tuesday signed into law a bill modeled after the controversial Texas abortion law, which allows private citizens to take civil action against abortion providers to enforce the law.

The "Oklahoma Heartbeat Act," Senate Bill 1503, takes effect immediately and prohibits abortions at the time when a physician can detect early cardiac activity in an embryo or fetus, which can be as early as six weeks into a pregnancy -- before many women even know that they are pregnant. The measure provides exceptions for medical emergencies, but not for rape or incest.

"I am proud to sign SB 1503, the Oklahoma Heartbeat Act into law," Stitt, a Republican, said in a tweet with photographs of him signing the legislation. "I want Oklahoma to be the most pro-life state in the country because I represent all four million Oklahomans who overwhelmingly want to protect the unborn."  .  .

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/03/politics/oklahoma-heartbeat-act-abortion-governor-stitt-signs/index.html
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-