Author Topic: SCOTUS unanimously rules Boston violated group's rights by refusing to fly Christian flag  (Read 761 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
May 2, 2022 10:58am EDT
SCOTUS unanimously rules Boston violated group's rights by refusing to fly Christian flag
SCOTUS said Boston violated the Camp's free speech rights

By Ronn Blitzer | Fox News

The Supreme Court ruled unanimously that a program of the city of Boston that allows outside groups to fly flags at city hall must permit the flying of flag with a cross that a camp referred to as a "Christian flag."

The question before the court was whether flying the flag as part of a government program was considered government speech if the flag belonged to a private organization, in this case, Camp Constitution. The Supreme Court ruled that it is not.

"We conclude that, on balance, Boston did not make the raising and flying of private groups’ flags a form of government speech," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote in the court's opinion, stating that as a result the city improperly violated Camp Constitution's free speech rights.

Boston argued that flying the flag was government speech because it was the city’s flag pole – indeed the pole is normally used to fly the flag of Boston when it is not used for this program. During oral arguments, the city’s attorney Douglas Harry Hallward-Driemeier noted that the city’s website says "we" commemorate flags of many countries and "our goal is to foster diversity," which would indicate that it is the city’s decision to fly the flags in order to promote its own message.

Attorney Mathew Staver, representing Shurtleff, argued during oral arguments that the city's policy specifically used the phrase "public forum," which would indicate that the flags would be an expression of the private speech of the group that applied.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scotus-sides-group-flying-christian-flag-at-boston-city-hall
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

"We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled," Justice Alito writes in an initial majority draft circulated inside the court.

JOSH GERSTEIN and ALEXANDER WARD  |  05/02/2022  |  08:32 PM EDT

The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

Deliberations on controversial cases have in the past been fluid. Justices can and sometimes do change their votes as draft opinions circulate and major decisions can be subject to multiple drafts and vote-trading, sometimes until just days before a decision is unveiled. The court’s holding will not be final until it is published, likely in the next two months.  .  .  .

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/02/supreme-court-abortion-draft-opinion-00029473

If this turns out to be true, then there is hope for this country.  Otherwise, it will be like the dust kicked off of sandals.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Oh, God.

It needs to be done, but the Democrats are going to absolutely go bonkers.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Please God let this be true.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Abortion Issue...front and center.  GD it!!

Mail-in balloting with that issue handed to them spells a defeat for the GOP in the mid-terms.

Everything possible....every news cycle should be targeted to go back to paper ballots and hand counting.  NO MORE BULLSHIT!

No wonder they're freaking out about Twitter.

A real back and forth on issues is going to bring about the next bloody Civil War here. 

The 'FBI' will see to it.  /S
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 03:05:13 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Listening to Laura and guests..this doesn't sound good....maybe a trial balloon...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline roamer_1

Please God let this be true.

AMEN!

But Politico? Finding any true news at Politico would surely be an aberration.   :shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
One idea mentioned that I agree with is that some Lib at SCOTUS leaked this to rally the troops for the midterm elections...
Support the USO

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
AMEN!

But Politico? Finding any true news at Politico would surely be an aberration.   :shrug:

Agreed.  They are winding up the base. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

Why was the Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health thread folded into the Shurtleff v. Boston thread?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Why was the Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health thread folded into the Shurtleff v. Boston thread?

Good question @Hoodat

It should have been this thread https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,468715.msg2635095.html#msg2635095
merged with Dobbs.

@MOD8
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DefiantMassRINO

"Banned in Boston" isn't what it used to be.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.