Author Topic: Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway reports $1.58 billion loss in 2022  (Read 400 times)

Offline Kamaji

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway reports $1.58 billion loss in 2022

By Jon Levine
April 30, 2022

Even an Oracle can have an off quarter.

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway reported a $1.58 billion loss in the first quarter of 2022, a significant reversal from the nearly $5 billion gain it saw at the same period of 2021.

“We haven’t the faintest idea what the stock market is gonna do when it opens on Monday — we never have,” the legendary 91-year-old “Oracle of Omaha” admitted Saturday to investors who flocked to Nebraska for the company’s annual meeting, the first in-person gathering since the start of the pandemic.

“If I had any sense of timing,” he said, he would have bought stocks when the COVID-19 pandemic went global in March 2020

“I totally missed that opportunity,” he said. “We haven’t ever timed anything. We’ve never figured out insights into the economy.”

Berkshire, a legendary US company that owns a diverse array of brands including insurance provider Geico and See’s Candies, reported $5.4 billion in profits, off 53% of the $12 billion it netted last year.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/30/warren-buffetts-berkshire-hathaway-reports-1-58-billion-loss/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That's nothing for an $800 billion company
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
That's nothing for an $800 billion company

It's not, but it is also interesting that Buffett (BRKa) has underperformed the S&P 500 for a number of years now.  Loss of Magic?, Randomness?, Cognizant loss?  Theories abound.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

It's not, but it is also interesting that Buffett (BRKa) has underperformed the S&P 500 for a number of years now.  Loss of Magic?, Randomness?, Cognizant loss?  Theories abound.
Agreed, the sage may have lost his touch.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington