Author Topic: What! A Free-market Economist That Supports Tariffs?  (Read 266 times)

Offline Kamaji

What! A Free-market Economist That Supports Tariffs?
« on: May 01, 2022, 05:28:02 pm »
What! A Free-market Economist That Supports Tariffs?

Michael Busler
May 01, 2022

Free-market economists have always favored free trade. That means there are no quotas or tariffs imposed by any country on any product. The theoretical outcome is that all countries benefit by producing goods that are produced most efficiently and then trading for other products with countries that have a comparative advantage.

In other words, the U.S. produces wheat extremely efficiently. Columbia produces coffee very efficiently.  If the U.S. produces just wheat and Columbia produces just coffee, the total output of the two countries would be greater than the total if each country made each product and did not trade.

If they trade fairly and freely to meet the country’s needs for the product they are not producing, both countries end up with more. Everyone wins.

There are some downsides. Free trade often results in a structural unemployment problem.  That occurs when the newly created jobs are not filled by the unemployed because the skills don’t match.  If the U.S. stops producing coffee, coffee workers become unemployed.  The expanding wheat industry needs workers. If the skills of the unemployed coffee workers don’t match the skills of the wheat growers, a structural unemployment problem is created.

If one country is starting to see their entrepreneurs investing in a new product that is currently being imported, the foreign competition is often able to take actions that make it nearly impossible for the new firm to exist. So new domestic industries suffer.

The prior administration and then the pandemic changed many economists' view of free trade. In 2017, the administration examined the various trade agreements the U.S. had.  In every case, the agreements were slanted in favor of our trading partners and to the detriment of U.S. interests.

Source:  https://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbusler/2022/05/01/what-a-freemarket-economist-that-supports-tariffs-n2606538

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: What! A Free-market Economist That Supports Tariffs?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 10:03:45 pm »
There is no such thing as a free-market economist that supports tariffs.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 10:08:51 pm »

Why?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 10:14:50 pm »
Why?

Because anyone who supports tariffs does not believe in free markets.

Tariffs are paid by consumers just like any other tax.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 10:16:47 pm »
Because anyone who supports tariffs does not believe in free markets.

Tariffs are paid by consumers just like any other tax.

Then you didn't read the article.  The author agrees that tariffs don't work if the predicate condition of a free market exists; however, the author agrees that not all existing markets are "free" in the sense required for that predicate, and therefore tariffs are justified in those markets that don't meet the predicate requirements.

Read the article.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 10:19:50 pm »

Then you didn't read the article.  The author agrees that tariffs don't work if the predicate condition of a free market exists; however, the author agrees that not all existing markets are "free" in the sense required for that predicate, and therefore tariffs are justified in those markets that don't meet the predicate requirements.

Read the article.

I read the article and somewhat agree with what the author said.  Just don't agree with the insinuation that tariffs are free market.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 10:21:31 pm »
"Free trade" resulted in the [free to the owners] export of entire factories and industries to China and elsewhere.

And that was what should have been expected. "Free" to do whatever they wanted, eh...?

Don't see many of those "free trade" types hawkin' their wares in this forum any more...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 10:26:24 pm »
"Free trade" resulted in the [free to the owners] export of entire factories and industries to China and elsewhere.

And that was what should have been expected. "Free" to do whatever they wanted, eh...?

Don't see many of those "free trade" types hawkin' their wares in this forum any more...

And that is incorrect as well.  Much of that movement you mention was encouraged and heavily subsidized by new world order forces with heavy influence in our government.  There was very little about it that was truly based on free markets.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 11:52:55 pm »
I read the article and somewhat agree with what the author said.  Just don't agree with the insinuation that tariffs are free market.

There is no such insinuation. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 01:45:34 am »
There is no such thing as a free market on the global scale.

For there to be a free market on the global scale, all markets must be free. Most range from mixed economies with heavy government intervention to full-out Communist states. Any time they enter the market, there is an absence of freedom. So you have two choices: refuse or restrict trade (which itself violates the idea of a free market) or ignore it and trade anyway to make it a one-sided manipulation.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 01:50:34 am »
There is no such thing as a free market on the global scale.

For there to be a free market on the global scale, all markets must be free. Most range from mixed economies with heavy government intervention to full-out Communist states. Any time they enter the market, there is an absence of freedom. So you have two choices: refuse or restrict trade (which itself violates the idea of a free market) or ignore it and trade anyway to make it a one-sided manipulation.

Nailed it. You can't compete with slave labor and closed economies.
The Republic is lost.