Author Topic: Which Guns Actually Won The West?  (Read 541 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Which Guns Actually Won The West?
« on: April 28, 2022, 12:50:48 am »
Guns Magazine by Mike "Duke" Venturino 2022

History Isn’t A Slogan

Fifty years ago, I dared to debate a professor teaching a “History Of The American West” course. He said the invention of Colt revolvers was instrumental in settling the western frontier. In turn, I said, “Revolvers are self-defense items. They are not used to conquer territory.” As many readers might agree, contradicting a professor never ends well for the student.

Here’s another fallacy. Some time along the way an advertising weenie for Winchester came up with the slogan pertaining to their Model 1873. It was “The Rifle That Won The West.” Actually, the west had to be “won” before settlers could come along and hunt deer with their pistol-cartridge-firing ’73 Winchesters. Also, I believe from a lifetime of reading and research the Indian warriors used ’73s to oppose settlers from winning the west more than American civilians used them to win it.

The Truth

So what guns were instrumental in making the west safe for settlers? I count two as co-winners of that award with two others as second-placers. For the west to be opened up for farmers and safe transportation to the west coast, two things had to happen. First the enormous bison herds had to go and second, wild Indians had to be tamed onto reservations. These things had to happen in the order in which I mentioned them.

More: https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts/which-guns-actually-won-the-west/