Author Topic: Huge Ruling in New York Rains Fire and Brimstone on Democrat Redistricting Hopes  (Read 284 times)

Offline Kamaji

Huge Ruling in New York Rains Fire and Brimstone on Democrat Redistricting Hopes

By Bonchie
Apr 27, 2022

A timely ruling today out of New York has solidified GOP redistricting gains after the state’s appeals court sided with Republicans to strike down a Democrat gerrymander that ignored state law.

I say timely, because just hours before this piece, I published an article noting that the GOP had turned the tables after months of Democrat celebration regarding redistricting. Contrary to earlier proclamations that Democrats had gained 5-6 seats in the process, Republicans have essentially won the war.

There are three big things in this ruling, and they all help Republicans as we head into the November midterms.

First, is the fact that the Democrat gerrymander got struck down at all. That wasn’t expected, and has put Republicans in the money. Secondly, the court ordered that a new map be implemented this year. That differs from some other states that determined they had run out of time, and that gerrymanders would stand for 2022. Thirdly, the heavily Democrat New York legislature will not get to draw the map. Rather, a court-appointed figure will do so based on the state’s fair districting provisions.

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/04/27/huge-ruling-in-new-york-rains-fire-and-brimstone-on-democrat-redistricting-hopes-n556979

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 New York high court tosses Democratic-drawn redistricting maps
by Max Greenwood - 04/27/22 2:59 PM ET

New York’s highest court on Wednesday tossed out the state’s new congressional map, ruling that it amounted to an unconstitutional gerrymander intended to elect more Democrats.

The 4-3 ruling from the state Court of Appeals deals a major blow to Democrats’ redistricting efforts in an already-difficult year for the party nationally. The maps out of New York had emerged as a bright spot for Democrats, who sought to more aggressively push their political advantage in the state.

Republicans need to net just five seats in the House to recapture a majority.

The new congressional map, which was signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) in February, created 20 Democratic-leaning and four Republican-leaning seats. Two other seats would be competitive, though tilted Democratic. New York’s delegation is currently made up of 19 Democrats and eight Republicans. It is losing a seat during this redistricting cycle.

The court also struck down New York’s new state Senate map.

more
https://thehill.com/news/campaign/3469116-new-york-high-court-tosses-democrat-drawn-redistricting-maps/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

A smidgeon of good news for non-leftists in NY today.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm amazed that the Court of Appeals ruled the way it did.
Just... amazed.

Offline Kamaji

I'm amazed that the Court of Appeals ruled the way it did.
Just... amazed.

As am I.