Author Topic: Gordon Chang: Biden Administration is handing space to China on a silver platter  (Read 353 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gordon Chang: Biden Administration is handing space to China on a silver platter
April 27, 2022 | BPR Wire

“The destruction of space objects through direct-ascent ASAT missile testing is reckless and irresponsible,” said Vice President Kamala Harris, speaking at Vandenberg Space Force Base on April 18, as she announced a unilateral American ban on anti-satellite tests.

“The long-lived debris created by these tests now threaten satellites and other space objects that are vital to all nations’ security, economic, and scientific interests, and increases risk to astronauts in space,” stated Harris, who chairs the National Space Council.

Many applauded the vice president’s announcement, the first pledge by any nation to not conduct such testing. “It’s an attempt to lead by example, and demonstrate we’re willing to make this commitment ourselves and then encourage others to follow,” said Robin Dickey of the Aerospace Corp. to the SpaceNews site.

There is no question that ASAT tests endanger space assets. Russia on November 15 launched a direct-ascent weapon, hit one of its satellites 480 kilometers in space, and created 1,500 pieces of space debris. General James Dickinson, head of the U.S. Space Command, said the test will “likely generate hundreds of thousands of pieces of smaller orbital debris.”Harris said there are still 2,800 pieces of floating junk resulting from China’s 2007 test.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/04/27/gordon-chang-biden-administration-is-handing-space-to-china-on-a-silver-platter-1230789/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Refusing to conduct ASAT tests is not, by itself, handing space to China.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Maybe we can use the X-37B to de orbit satellites without creating space debris. I have been curious about just what they have been using it for on its missions, somehow I seriously doubt they were all for testing new tech. Also as successful as the two existing small versions are I seriously doubt there are no plans for larger vehicles.