Author Topic: Incandescent light bulbs being phased out to save energy  (Read 659 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Incandescent light bulbs being phased out to save energy
« on: April 26, 2022, 07:56:33 pm »
Incandescent light bulbs being phased out to save energy
By MATTHEW DALYan hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration is scrapping old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs, speeding an ongoing trend toward more efficient lighting that officials say will save households, schools and businesses billions of dollars a year.

Rules finalized by the Energy Department will require manufacturers to sell energy-efficient light bulbs, accelerating a longtime industry practice to use compact fluorescent and LED bulbs that last 25 to 50 times longer than incandescent bulbs. The Trump administration had slowed an earlier phaseout of incandescents, saying it was targeting rules that burden businesses.

Once the new rules are fully in place next year, consumers should save nearly $3 billion per year on their utility bills, the Energy Department said. The rules are projected to cut planet-warming carbon emissions by 222 million metric tons over the next 30 years, an amount equivalent to emissions generated by 28 million homes in one year, officials said.

“By raising energy efficiency standards for lightbulbs, we’re putting $3 billion back in the pockets of American consumers every year and substantially reducing domestic carbon emissions,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said in a statement Tuesday. “The lighting industry is already embracing more energy efficient products, and this measure will accelerate progress to deliver the best products to American consumers and build a better and brighter future.”

more
https://apnews.com/article/business-environment-3b67bbd3c37886459d07d5aad7c03984
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Incandescent light bulbs being phased out to save energy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 08:01:11 pm »
In practice, these boondoggles don't last anywheres near as long as claimed, but they are certainly pricey.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 08:11:04 pm »
Where in reality... Everywhere those incandescent bulbs are used for heat in the north, they will have to be replaced with more energy consuming heaters - Forcing expensive overkill.

And don't think that is some small concern.

My crawl space has a string of lights - 100w incandescent bulbs which supply, well... light, when I need to go down there. But there is a secondary purpose - When it is 10 below or more, I turn those bulbs on, and they supply just enough distributed heat to keep my pipes from freezing.

The old well, down at the ranch, is always kept from freezing by a single bulb... all winter long.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 08:37:06 pm »
Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury and are hazardous to dispose.

I have personally chosen LED bulbs to save on my electric bill.

I should be able to make my own decisions about how I want to save money.

I don't need Big Government making my decisions for me.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline berdie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 08:46:27 pm »
Where in reality... Everywhere those incandescent bulbs are used for heat in the north, they will have to be replaced with more energy consuming heaters - Forcing expensive overkill.

My crawl space has a string of lights - 100w incandescent bulbs which supply, well... light, when I need to go down there. But there is a secondary purpose - When it is 10 below or more, I turn those bulbs on, and they supply just enough distributed heat to keep my pipes from freezing.

The old well, down at the ranch, is always kept from freezing by a single bulb... all winter long.

I thought about installing lights under the house. But decided against it. The warmth would attract mice...and snakes. That would NOT entice a plumber to help me out. :laugh:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 08:54:35 pm »
Eff it.  I'm going back to oil lamps and candles. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 08:58:08 pm »

I thought about installing lights under the house. But decided against it. The warmth would attract mice...and snakes. That would NOT entice a plumber to help me out. :laugh:

That's why they are only used when it is well below zero. Mice ain't moving at that temp... they are holed up in their burrows.

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 09:12:50 pm »
That's why they are only used when it is well below zero. Mice ain't moving at that temp... they are holed up in their burrows.

It doesn't get below zero very often, thank you Lord. But the mice around here don't burrow. They just seek out heat. And you know what follows mice.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 09:21:11 pm »

It doesn't get below zero very often, thank you Lord. But the mice around here don't burrow. They just seek out heat. And you know what follows mice.

Yeah... That's not a thing up here either... All we have is garter snakes. In fact, nothing venomous at all except hobo spiders... Which really ain't likely.  But garter snakes can be a bother... Had a house once where they  had a den right next to the foundation. One spring, hundreds of them invaded the basement through a crack... It was crazy. Of course, all of it was just snakes waking up and seeking any way out of their den, on their way to the surface...

But it was a thing.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 10:13:14 pm »
I'd like a state to pick a fight here and have a company make and sell bulbs solely within a state and see how that can hold up in court.

Like so many things, absolutely no prerogative of the feds to control this.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 10:24:38 pm »

Yep. I recall writing a congresscritter about the whole fallacy of wasted heat from an incandescent bulb.

At the height of winter here, subzero temperatures are common outside, and we have 8 hours of daylight and 16 hours of darkness. Needless to say, as a general rule, after sunset it gets colder out. In those rooms where  artificial light is used (where people are) the little bit of extra heat is welcome. And, as you pointed out, those bulbs can heat anything from doghouses to crawlspaces and pump houses to engine compartments...By contrast, LED's are slow to light up in the cold and useless as a heat source. Which leaves 150W heat lamps...when a 60, 75, or 100 W bulb would have done the trick.

In midsummer, we have 16 hours of daylight, and only eight of darkness, so the lights tend to not be used much, and the heat they might have generated isn't a problem. It's hard enough getting the kids to bed when it is still light out at 10PM...You don't save any energy over something you don't use.

I like the warmth of incandescent lighting over the harsh light of LEDs, too.

It's just another "one size fits all" solution for a problem that hasn't been proven to exist.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 10:25:40 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 10:27:19 pm »
Yeah... That's not a thing up here either... All we have is garter snakes. In fact, nothing venomous at all except hobo spiders... Which really ain't likely.  But garter snakes can be a bother... Had a house once where they  had a den right next to the foundation. One spring, hundreds of them invaded the basement through a crack... It was crazy. Of course, all of it was just snakes waking up and seeking any way out of their den, on their way to the surface...

But it was a thing.
Why do I get a flash of a scene from one of the Indiana Jones flicks? I bet that was a hoot.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 10:35:42 pm »
Yep. I recall writing a congresscritter about the whole fallacy of wasted heat from an incandescent bulb.

At the height of winter here, subzero temperatures are common outside, and we have 8 hours of daylight and 16 hours of darkness. Needless to say, as a general rule, after sunset it gets colder out. In those rooms where  artificial light is used (where people are) the little bit of extra heat is welcome. And, as you pointed out, those bulbs can heat anything from doghouses to crawlspaces and pump houses to engine compartments...By contrast, LED's are slow to light up in the cold and useless as a heat source. Which leaves 150W heat lamps...when a 60, 75, or 100 W bulb would have done the trick.

In midsummer, we have 16 hours of daylight, and only eight of darkness, so the lights tend to not be used much, and the heat they might have generated isn't a problem. It's hard enough getting the kids to bed when it is still light out at 10PM...You don't save any energy over something you don't use.

I like the warmth of incandescent lighting over the harsh light of LEDs, too.

It's just another "one size fits all" solution for a problem that hasn't been proven to exist.

ALL TRUE.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 10:39:08 pm »
Why do I get a flash of a scene from one of the Indiana Jones flicks? I bet that was a hoot.

Heh... Just exactly like that...

It all started with a bloodcurdling scream from my wife and me startled awake in full-on Hulk mode.

Kinda anti-climactic when I blew through the basement door ready to smash... Hard to translate that into something effective against a hundred little snakes...  :laugh:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 10:46:10 pm »
Heh... Just exactly like that...

It all started with a bloodcurdling scream from my wife and me startled awake in full-on Hulk mode.

Kinda anti-climactic when I blew through the basement door ready to smash... Hard to translate that into something effective against a hundred little snakes...  :laugh:
Just bag 'em up and relocate to the outbuildings...and anywhere else mice might be a problem...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 11:00:31 pm »
Just bag 'em up and relocate to the outbuildings...and anywhere else mice might be a problem...

That's all that happened. All they wanted was to get outside anyhow... The real problem was finding and destroying the den... because they will certainly come back to it come fall. so long as they are in reach of it.

The place was on a side hill, and I could not get machinery to the foundation, so I had to hand-dig it, which was a bother. Took about a month in my spare time... But I exposed that side, found the den, fixed the crack, tarred the wall, and tamped it all back in before the fall.

Wish I had Hulk mode for all that.  :whistle: