Author Topic: Is “Climate Change” science or pseudoscience?  (Read 266 times)

rebewranger

Is “Climate Change” science or pseudoscience?
« on: April 22, 2022, 05:15:06 pm »
Is “Climate Change” science or pseudoscience?
20 hours ago Andy May 248 Comments
By Andy May

I have a new op-ed in the Washington Examiner today that questions whether “climate change,” as commonly defined today, is a scientific concept. The op-ed is a very brief summary of a longer post on the topic here. The longer post contains all the references and links to supporting material, including a link to Karl Popper‘s famous book on the definitions of science and pseudoscience, called Conjectures and Refutations.

From the op-ed:

“Tornados, nor’easters, hurricanes, mid-winter thaws, 100-degree days, cold snaps, droughts, and flooding creeks all are presented as evidence of human-caused climate change, “proof” that human emissions of carbon dioxide are leading to an overheated planet.

However, Karl Popper, the famous philosopher, would say that these meteorological events do not support human-caused climate change because none of them can falsify the idea. If every event supports an idea, and no event can falsify it, the idea is not a scientific hypothesis

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/04/21/is-climate-change-science-or-pseudoscience/

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Is “Climate Change” science or pseudoscience?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 10:19:56 pm »
Question:
"Is “Climate Change” science or pseudoscience?"

Neither.
It's political propaganda.
Not to mention it's also the greatest lie and hoax ever foisted upon humanity...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 01:45:40 am »
Well, the climate has been changing for 4.6 billion years, so I guess it does that.
After all, where I am sitting now, there was once a two kilometer thick ice sheet, so some climate change could be a good thing.

But can humans have much of an effect on that change?

Unlikely. A system that has been functioning long before life on Earth, that continues to function, probably isn't influenced much by humans, and will not respond to us giving up our rights or throwing money at it any more than it responded to the bleats of the last mammoth.

The idea that we can give up this, or mandate that and magically get the planet's temperature to comply with someone's arbitrary and capricious concept of "just right" is not only peudo-science, it's ludicrous.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rebewranger

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 01:42:33 pm »
Based on "current science" the glaciers which formed the Great Lakes withdrew because of the massive campfires of the scattered few people of the time.  How else could they have gotten enough global warming at the time? :tongue2:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 02:24:26 pm »
For CO2 to do what they claim, it would have the powers of magical, rainbow colored, sparkly fairy pixie unicorn dust.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 02:39:49 pm »
For CO2 to do what they claim, it would have the powers of magical, rainbow colored, sparkly fairy pixie unicorn dust.

I'm convinced it's definitely because of the sparkly fairy pixie unicorn dust.  *****rollingeyes*****
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.