Author Topic: SpaceX lands first Starlink aviation deal with Texas startup  (Read 386 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
SpaceX lands first Starlink aviation deal with Texas startup
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:24:36 pm »
AJOT By: Justin Bachman | Apr 22 2022

https://ajot.com/news/spacex-lands-first-starlink-aviation-deal-with-texas-startup

Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite-based internet service has landed its first aviation customer in a deal with startup JSX, which plans to offer the SpaceX unit’s wi-fi to passengers in its first deal with an airline.

JSX, a Dallas-based startup that caters to upscale travelers, said Thursday it will equip its fleet of Embraer SA 145 jets with Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s new high-speed satellite service from Starlink, and offer it for no additional charge. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The first flights are expected later in 2022, although the two private companies are working to certify, test and outfit the jets, JSX said.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: SpaceX lands first Starlink aviation deal with Texas startup
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:32:49 pm »
Delta Is Testing SpaceX’s Starlink Internet For In-flight Wi-Fi Service

Travelinglifestyle by Luka Trcek·April 22, 2022

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/delta-is-testing-spacexs-starlink-internet-for-in-flight-wi-fi-service/

Elon Musk’s satellite Internet company is pushing to offer wireless Internet aboard airplanes. Delta Air Lines is the first major carrier that has reportedly tested the service.

It is not known how the tests were conducted or when Starlink will be available on Delta passenger aircraft.

Delta CEO Ed Bastian has declined to provide more specific details about the tests, according to the Wall Street Journal. However, the company has in the past advocated for increased access to low-cost, high-quality Wi-Fi on planes.

Musk said in October that he was “talking to airlines about installing Starlink” and that the service will offer “low latency” and “half a gigabit of bandwidth in the air.”

More at link.

Offline roamer_1

Re: SpaceX lands first Starlink aviation deal with Texas startup
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 06:53:30 am »
Cool. I am told that roaming is an unadvertised possibility now.
A friend of mine is having good luck with it in his RV
This indicates that's true.

When the roaming feature is for real, I'm IN.  :beer:

I want to stream a movie from all the way up in the South Fork.
I could be sitting in camp talking to y'all. THAT is too cool.