Author Topic: Oldest Texas death row inmate Carl Wayne Buntion executed for killing cop  (Read 568 times)

Offline Kamaji

Oldest Texas death row inmate Carl Wayne Buntion executed for killing cop

By Associated Press
April 22, 2022

HUNTSVILLE, Texas — Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago.

Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a nearly 20-year member of the force.

The US Supreme Court had declined a request by Buntion’s attorneys to stop his execution.

“I wanted the Irby family to know one thing: I do have remorse for what I did,” Buntion said while strapped to the Texas death chamber gurney. “I pray to God that they get the closure for me killing their father and Ms. Irby’s husband.

“I hope to see you in heaven someday and when you show up I will give you a big hug.”

Buntion, joined by his spiritual adviser, began praying Psalm 23, “The Lord is my Shepherd…” as the lethal dose of the powerful sedative pentobarbital began. He took a deep breath, coughed once, then took three less pronounced breaths before all movement stopped.

He was pronounced dead at 6:39 p.m., 13 minutes later.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/texas-executes-its-oldest-death-row-inmate-carl-wayne-buntion/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Yeah! That SOB lived another 32 years after his crime at my expense but I'm still glad he's dead!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

Yeah! That SOB lived another 32 years after his crime at my expense but I'm still glad he's dead!

If that's Ron White's 'Express Lane', it could stand a little jiggerin.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:yowsa:  But what would the defense lawyers do?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

:yowsa:  But what would the defense lawyers do?

McDonald's is hiring, they tell me...  :whistle:

Online mountaineer

Yeah, something definitely went wrong there.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

I have posted this comment before and got hammered...but I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. :laugh:

Although this man's time on death row is excessive, I don't have a problem with delayed executions. I like the idea of the prisoner getting the opportunity to "enjoy" the prison experience prior to being executed. From what I have read, death row in Tx is solitary confinement. Most prisons in Tx are not air conditioned, although I don't know about Pollunsky, that in itself is brutal.

Then they have the mental torture of wondering if they will get a reprieve. Multiple times. And then...they are executed anyway.

So, yeah, I'll be willing to pay for the torture leading up to his demise.

Online roamer_1

I have posted this comment before and got hammered...but I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. :laugh:

Although this man's time on death row is excessive, I don't have a problem with delayed executions. I like the idea of the prisoner getting the opportunity to "enjoy" the prison experience prior to being executed. From what I have read, death row in Tx is solitary confinement. Most prisons in Tx are not air conditioned, although I don't know about Pollunsky, that in itself is brutal.

Then they have the mental torture of wondering if they will get a reprieve. Multiple times. And then...they are executed anyway.

Yeah, but bullets are cheap - SOOPER cheap. 32 years in prison is not. Your vengeance is (very/too) expensive.

:whistle: :shrug:

Offline berdie

Yeah, but bullets are cheap - SOOPER cheap. 32 years in prison is not. Your vengeance is (very/too) expensive.

:whistle: :shrug:

If the prison population was reduced by timely executions, I would agree with you 110 per cent, @roamer_1 . But much like the dragon's teeth one will be replaced by more. Maybe not on death row. But paying taxes for incarceration on death row or general  population makes no difference.

So, since "cruel and unusual" isn't an option....

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Didn't he just get a stay of execution for some reason just last week?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@berdie

I DO see and understand your POV,and in some ways am in agreement. MY only real objection to a quick execution after being convicted of a Capital Crime is the FACT that the police and the district attorneys sometimes make mistakes,and sometimes they just don't give a damn because they want to be known as the cop/DA that brought a dangerous felon to his end.

The flip side of this is the answer to the question "Just how much of a deterrent IS the death penalty if most convicted of Capitol Crimes end up dying of old age before they can be executed?

For the death penalty to be an effect deterrent to capital crimes amongst those lucid enough to understand what they are doing,it has to happen fairly quickly after the conviction. Maybe by having a different court in a different circuit review the evidence and see if they can find any fault with the evidence. Or maybe some other method I am not aware of.

Equal Protection under the law ALSO means "Equal Protection FROM the law".

Now,in those rare cases where someone is caught committing cold-blooded murder on video or in front of witnesses that know the murderer personally,give them ONE appeal within a fairly short period to have the case reviewed by another court,and if they find the doer guilty also,do away with his ass.

I see no reason for the taxpayers to be forced to finance food,shelter,clothing,and medical care for some cold-blooded murderer for decades after the deed. If he is guilty,take him away.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

If the prison population was reduced by timely executions, I would agree with you 110 per cent, @roamer_1 . But much like the dragon's teeth one will be replaced by more. Maybe not on death row. But paying taxes for incarceration on death row or general  population makes no difference.

So, since "cruel and unusual" isn't an option....

I will differ with you @berdie - Something rare that is - I think rigorous exercise of the death penalty and meaningful incarceration would stop crime in it's tracks. There will always be crime, but our need of prison beds  directly tracks with the permissiveness of the society. The easier we are on criminals, the more criminals there are. The object of the exercise is not punishment, but justice - And in that justice, an example. That example deters future criminals.

That is juxtaposed against the criminal - a perennial opportunist - who governs his life by means of immediate opportunity and (relative) instant gratification. He takes what he needs because it is easier in the moment than the hourly wage and the daily grind. His life is one of possibilities and returns in the now...

When he looks at current 'justice', he is willing to risk the time, because there is a fair option that he will get off, or get out fairly early for 'good behavior' or 'overcrowding'. Even with something as heinous as murder and rape, those possibilities are on the table. Fifteen years is really seven, or maybe five.  Don't think that is lost on the criminal culture.

Making the punishment swift and sure takes away those 'opportunities' to skate. When murder and rape are punished by death and any thievery or strong-arm assault will give you 10 years minimum, crime WILL go down, because the looming threat far outweighs the immediate opportunity. There will always be a chance of getting caught. If that is a terrible price, the risk it poses in the immediate must be weighed against any supposed opportunity - Is it worth it for a 10 year bid? Is it worth it to lose my life?

Mayberry ensues.