Author Topic: ESG Campaign to Starve Fossil Fuel Companies of Capital Takes Aim at Oregon  (Read 379 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
ESG Campaign to Starve Fossil Fuel Companies of Capital Takes Aim at Oregon

21 Apr 2022

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — The Oregon State Treasury has at least $5.3 billion invested in fossil fuel companies, a coalition of environmental groups said in a report Wednesday that blamed the state for adding to global warming and urged divestment.

Oregon is considered a “green” state, through its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by state agencies and being the first state to commit to stop using coal-fired power. Yet the state treasury is working at cross-purposes with over $1 billion invested in the coal industry alone, Divest Oregon said in its report.

“The state exposes Oregonians to climate and health risks, economic costs, and financial losses” through the investments, the group said.

The amount that Oregon has invested in oil, gas and coal companies — whose products are a leading cause of global warming — is probably far higher than $5.3 billion. That’s because the numbers that Divest Oregon obtained from the state treasury through a public records request do not include private equity investments, which are not subject to public disclosure.

The treasury welcomes “continued dialogue with Oregonians on the best ways to address the risks of climate change while ensuring that we meet our mandate to produce sustainable returns for beneficiaries,” department spokeswoman Amy Bates said.

“We’re committed to a portfolio that reflects the realities of a changing climate, and a changing policy environment, while earning money for tens of thousands of Oregonians’ retirement security,” Bates said.

Oregon State Treasurer Tobias Read is running for the Democratic nomination for governor in the November elections. One of his platforms is combating climate change.

“As governor, I will lead the effort to decarbonize our economy and avert the worst of this crisis,” he said in a recent campaign statement. “I will bring a renewed sense of urgency to building a clean energy economy and the critical infrastructure needed to meet the challenges we face.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/news/report-oregon-has-5-3b-invested-in-fossil-fuel-companies/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Decarbonizing the state results in less plant growth, si those beautiful lush Oregon forests will be reduced to gray and dead trees.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Decarbonizing the state results in less plant growth, si those beautiful lush Oregon forests will be reduced to gray and dead trees.
Gray and dead ash, more like. Dead trees feed wildfires like crazy.

But the STUPID just keeps on coming.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis