Author Topic: Breakdowns, Ripped Clothing and Dying Batteries: Army Commits to Arctic But Still Figuring Out What  (Read 207 times)

rebewranger

Breakdowns, Ripped Clothing and Dying Batteries: Army Commits to Arctic But Still Figuring Out What Soldiers Need

15 Apr 2022
Military.com | By Steve Beynon

FORT GREELY, Alaska -- Army paratroopers with the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, set up fighting positions in the cold dark just before dawn near Fort Greely, Alaska, during a massive first-of-its-kind exercise in March.

Temperatures hit minus 20 degrees, but weren't the most frigid conditions the Arctic could dish out. "A warm day at the beach," joked a junior enlisted soldier, who had a dip in his mouth as he held an M249 light machine gun.

The soldiers had trudged through knee-high snow carrying rifles, Javelin anti-tank weapons and rucksacks to set up a mock convoy ambush for the exercise, but they would end up waiting days for the training scenario to begin. The Army's Stryker vehicles had broken down along the 100-mile route from Fort Wainwright to the site.

Many of the vehicles, visibly worn and pockmarked with chips and holes. were two decades old and saw service in Iraq. In March, they were barely running in Arctic conditions they weren't built to withstand, and being serviced by short-staffed mechanics without needed spare parts.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/04/15/breakdowns-ripped-clothing-and-dying-batteries-army-commits-arctic-still-figuring-out-what-soldiers.html

rebewranger

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2022/04/17/climate-change-damaging-us-military-bases-in-the-arctic-report-warns/

Based on this, I don't how the lead article can be accurate.  All  I saw in the lead ariticle was typical wear and tear in a very cold environment.  In this article, are they saying warming is damaging bases and equipment?  If not, why are the  bases not being built with specifications to avoid damage from arctic weather in the first place? :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What I am seeing here is like taking a vehicle from Texas and trying to drive it in North Dakota in the winter.
(Iraq to Alaska)
There are winterization steps that can be taken to make that vehicle cold capable, even if tinhorns will learn the hard way.

For gas vehicles, purge the system of water (yes, it's in there) with HEET, preferably while it is warm, and use as little ethanol in the fuel system as possible afterwards. Change fuel filters.
Make sure engine oil is synthetic, not mineral oil. Use the correct grade.
Make sure all transmission, gearbox, and differential lubricants are arctic rated.
Windshield washer fluid should be rated for 30 BELOW zero. Anything rated for above zero will likely freeze and may damage the pump.
Engine coolant should be the best mix you can get (70/30) for the coldest rating (this also protects best against overheating/boilover).
Finally, install or have installed a frost plug or lower radiator hose heater so the engine can be kept warm enough to start.

Batteries: All connections clean and secure, with the highest cold cranking amp rated battery available for the vehicle.
These should be kept at a full charge state to prevent freezing.

DIesel: Number 1 only should be used from September through May. If there is Number 2 or a blend in the tanks when you last fill up, by the time the real cold sets in, you will have flushed it from the system.
I can't count on all my appendages (including hair) the number of times a trucker has left somewhere down south to have his fuel system gel up while driving here.
Yes, number 1 diesel is more expensive. It's still cheaper than a tow, or freezing on the side of the road (not counting the lost loads while the truck is thawing).

But Alaska has had Army maneuvers before, as a fellow grad student related to me in the '70s.

Maybe someone ought to dig out the vehicle maintenance records from that era and apply the lessons to be learned to today's equipment. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

pointing-up

What @Smokin Joe said.

Except DUAL deep cycle battery kit (add a battery)
And add magnetic external sump heater. I know, they rub off... But probably not in extreme sub-zero... You probably ain't going anywhere but on the road.

Made me laugh about the wiper fluid. Forgot that as an indicator as to how cold cold is. Ain't never had it freeze through, but I have seen it with a skiff, and chunky like a super cold beer. That's cold right there.  :beer:

Online roamer_1

Oh, and LIFTED... with super-tall pizza cutters.  :beer:

ETA: Oh yeah... siped and studded.  happy77
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 03:17:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh, and LIFTED... with super-tall pizza cutters.  :beer:

ETA: Oh yeah... siped and studded.  happy77
Lock your lockers! (If you have them). :beer: 888high58888
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Lock your lockers! (If you have them). :beer: 888high58888

Oh HECK yeah!

888high58888