Author Topic: Holy Saturday Was the Longest Saturday Ever for the Apostles of Jesus Christ  (Read 1292 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Holy Saturday Was the Longest Saturday Ever for the Apostles of Jesus Christ
By Duke | Apr 16, 2022 6:15 PM ET

Jesus Christ still casts a shadow longer than anyone who has ever lived on this li’l blue marble we call Earth–and rightly so.

He is fully God and fully human, and His teachings are still incorporated into everything we do in life. His crucifixion and resurrection are the basis of salvation for all of those that are willing to believe that He was who He said He was, and He did what is reported in the Bible.

Pretty simple if you are willing to shake off the confusion of the world we live in today.

My colleague here Susie Moore had a really interesting post on Holy Thursday called Moore to the Point – Remember Just How Much You Are Loved that in part talked about the movie “The Passion of the Christ” by Mel Gibson.

From her post…

This Sunday is Easter, which makes this Holy Week, and today Holy Thursday.

It got me to thinking about the movie “The Passion of the Christ.” I bought the DVD years ago, with every intention of watching it shortly thereafter. But, for some reason, I never could quite bring myself to do so. I’m not sure what it was that was holding me back – I’m a believer and obviously familiar with the story of Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection, but I suppose the idea of actually seeing it recreated in (what I’d been forewarned was) graphic detail was a bit more daunting than reading about it in the Bible or even hearing a pastor preach on it.

About two years ago, I finally made a point to watch it and I’m so glad I did. As difficult as it was to watch, it really brought home the enormity of the sacrifice made for us – and of the depth and breadth of God’s love for us.

more
https://redstate.com/tladuke/2022/04/16/holy-saturday-was-the-longest-saturday-ever-for-the-apostles-of-jesus-christ-n551462
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I normally don't post religious topics but I found this interesting..I never thought about what the Apostles went through until the Resurrection..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online libertybele

Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" was his absolute best and well made movie. IMO because of that movie he also found himself rejected from Hollywood (perhaps truly not a bad thing).

We went to the theater to watch it when it first came out and there was absolutely complete silence during the entire movie. I have seen it several times since and always pick up a little more from the movie then I did the very first time as there is so much that goes on in the background in addition to the focus on Jesus.

Yes there is no question that it is an absolutely very graphic and daunting movie. Certainly much more than I expected.  It truly gave me a deeper feeling for the suffering Jesus went through. The longest Saturday for the Apostles is something that I hadn't considered or reflected upon either.

The reality of the suffering was front and center and there was no denying, escaping that reality or looking away.  Jesus Christ suffered so that my sins would be forgiven. That suffering took on a whole new spiritual and very profound meaning.

Every time I pray, especially when I say a devotional/chaplet or pray the rosary I reflect back on those images of Christ's suffering.

This was one of the best movies ever made, regardless of Hollywood's opinions.

If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it, whether or not you Believe.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 01:29:28 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" was his absolute best and well made movie. IMO because of that movie he also found himself rejected from Hollywood (perhaps truly not a bad thing).

We went to the theater to watch it when it first came out and there was absolutely complete silence during the entire movie. I have seen it several times since and always pick up a little more from the movie then I did the very first time as there is so much that goes on in the background in addition to the focus on Jesus.

Yes there is no question that it is an absolutely very graphic and daunting movie. Certainly much more than I expected.  It truly gave me a deeper feeling for the suffering Jesus went through. The longest Saturday for the Apostles is something that I hadn't considered or reflected upon either.

The reality of the suffering was front and center and there was no denying, escaping that reality or looking away.  Jesus Christ suffered so that my sins would be forgiven. That suffering took on a whole new spiritual and very profound meaning.

Every time I pray, especially when I say a devotional/chaplet or pray the rosary I reflect back on those images of Christ's suffering.

This was one of the best movies ever made, regardless of Hollywood's opinions.

If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it, whether or not you Believe.

I have seen it and in fact I own it.

Today on the History Channel they aired the mini series The Bible..I watched it all day and they showed some of what the Apostles went through after the death of Jesus...and even after his resurrection...I feel drained after the final two hours...
Support the USO

Online libertybele

Today on the History Channel they aired the mini series The Bible..I watched it all day and they showed some of what the Apostles went through after the death of Jesus...and even after his resurrection...I feel drained after the final two hours...

(Oops, hope you didn't think that I was implying that you didn't believe --- I was referring to anyone that hadn't seen it)  Anyways, Perhaps I just wasn't paying much attention, but I've noticed that more 'biblical' movies are being made now then before.  Is it a new awakening or are people no longer afraid to admit that they believe? I'm reflecting back when I was in my teens and those that believe in God were called "Jesus freaks" and were taunted. 

There seems to be a resurgence in faith, but also a focus on attacking religious freedom.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 02:24:42 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I normally don't post religious topics but I found this interesting..I never thought about what the Apostles went through until the Resurrection..

Do seem to recall a biblical movie revolving around The Crucifixion event.  Christ's Apostles all went into hiding.
Not all were successful, of course. 

How long after Good Friday was Peter crucified upside down
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online libertybele

Do seem to recall a biblical movie revolving around The Crucifixion event.  Christ's Apostles all went into hiding.
Not all were successful, of course. 

How long after Good Friday was Peter crucified upside down

I had to look it up....

https://www.catholicplayground.com/what-happened-to-the-apostles/

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.

Would you believe I've had so many opportunities to see it and have even been given the DVD, yet I've never had the courage to watch it. I know He loves me and suffered greatly for me. I know my name is written in His Book of Life. Still, I'm too afraid to watch it. My eyes sting with tears just typing this. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to watch it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Would you believe I've had so many opportunities to see it and have even been given the DVD, yet I've never had the courage to watch it. I know He loves me and suffered greatly for me. I know my name is written in His Book of Life. Still, I'm too afraid to watch it. My eyes sting with tears just typing this. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to watch it.

It hurt to watch it, I recalled my sins on every lash. I know his blood covers this filthy rag, but still.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

I am not Catholic, so I kinda disagree with the particulars.
But that being said, that movie will change your life.
Stunning. Heart wrenching. You will weep. Big, ugly crying.
But I considered it a duty, and I am not sorry I took it on.
I am grateful.
And you will be too. Betcha.
 :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
(Oops, hope you didn't think that I was implying that you didn't believe --- I was referring to anyone that hadn't seen it)  Anyways, Perhaps I just wasn't paying much attention, but I've noticed that more 'biblical' movies are being made now then before.  Is it a new awakening or are people no longer afraid to admit that they believe? I'm reflecting back when I was in my teens and those that believe in God were called "Jesus freaks" and were taunted. 

There seems to be a resurgence in faith, but also a focus on attacking religious freedom.
In all things, the wheat and chaff are being separated...
The time for being lukewarm (not that there ever was such, really) is over.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I am not Catholic, so I kinda disagree with the particulars.
But that being said, that movie will change your life.
Stunning. Heart wrenching. You will weep. Big, ugly crying.
But I considered it a duty, and I am not sorry I took it on.
I am grateful.
And you will be too. Betcha.
 :beer:
My experience was similar, knowing I am responsible for at least one of those stripes...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

My experience was similar, knowing I am responsible for at least one of those stripes...

No, I am responsible for every_single_one.
That death - ALL OF IT - Was mine to do.
And he took it from me.

And from you. And from everyone.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
In all things, the wheat and chaff are being separated...
The time for being lukewarm (not that there ever was such, really) is over.

The separation of sheep and goats is definitely happening.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

A college friend is an author and speaker at women's conferences. She posted this on Facebook Saturday, touching on what the disciples did between the crucifixion and the resurrection.
I wonder if the birds sang on this morning between Good Friday and Resurrection Day.
We know that the sun surely came up ... but I wonder if the day was overcast and cloudy.
I wonder.

I wonder if the disciples planned to start repairing their nets again ... and go back to their business of catching fish.
Their time with Jesus seemed to be over. What would they do now?

I wonder what Mary, the mother of Jesus, was doing this quiet morning. Certainly she was crying ... wondering ... praying ... hoping.
I know that she was remembering ... she remembered the voice of the angel from 33 years ago,
"The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.
“And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.
“He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and His kingdom will have no end.” Luke 1:30-33

Mary remembered the words of Elizabeth, her cousin, who had declared that Mary was carrying the Messiah.
Mary remembered the night that shepherds danced and angels sang.
Mary remembered the Magi.
Was this really how the life of Jesus was to end?

The events of the past 24 hours had traumatized all of God's creation ... their Savior had died.
The Son of God who had been there when God declared, "Let there be light," had been brutally and senselessly murdered.
And now ... where was that Light?
He was a man of peace who went about doing good.
The earth was silent and yet waiting ... the story was not over yet.

I hope that as you ponder the events of this, the second day, you will remind yourself that it is not over until God says it's over.
God is still working behind the scenes of your life ... when He touches your trauma with His power ... a miracle unfolds.
Sunday is coming, my friends. Sunday is coming.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-RTI-H2oI

This is my favorite Easter Resurrection piece.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

No, I am responsible for every_single_one.
That death - ALL OF IT - Was mine to do.
And he took it from me.

And from you. And from everyone.
Point taken, brother, and I stand corrected.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
There is a recent film named "Resurrection" (2021) that deals with the experiences of The Apostles in the period between the crucifixion and resurrection.

Watched a little last night, will finish tonight.

Seems fairly good, but I take issue with the "politically correct" casting. That is, the Apostle John and Mary Magdelene are portrayed by blacks. Please. In a historically-oriented piece, be historically accurate...

Offline berdie

Same here. When I was very young, I was allowed to take out any book at the library that I chose. I took out one that described, in detail, the physical aspects of the events leading up to the cruxification and the cruxifiction itself. It shook me to the core. I'm not sure that I could watch a reenactment.   I don't know the name of the book.