Author Topic: Biden administration resumes oil and gas leases on federal lands as gasoline prices soar  (Read 374 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Biden administration resumes oil and gas leases on federal lands as gasoline prices soar

The Department of Interior announced Friday that it will resume the sale of oil and gas leases on federal land beginning next week.

The Bureau of Land Management will begin issuing final environmental assessments and sale notices on Monday for future oil and gas projects and will offer for lease "approximately 173 parcels on roughly 144,000 acres, an 80 percent reduction from the acreage originally nominated," BLM stated.

The move comes as President Biden faces gasoline price hikes and soaring inflation, each of which could prove politically catastrophic. Biden had said during the campaign that he wanted to end such leases and put a moratorium on them the first day of his presidency.

The administration sought to emphasize that it was trying to reopen drilling responsibly.

"How we manage our public lands and waters says everything about what we value as a nation," Interior Secretary Deb Haaland said in a statement. "For too long, the federal oil and gas leasing programs have prioritized the wants of extractive industries above local communities, the natural environment, the impact on our air and water, the needs of Tribal Nations, and, moreover, other uses of our shared public lands.".......................

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-administration-resumes-oil-and-gas-leases-on-federal-lands
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
U.S. to resume oil, gas drilling on public land despite Biden campaign pledge

WASHINGTON, April 15 (Reuters) - The Biden administration on Friday said it has resumed plans for oil and gas development on federal lands, a move that could break a pledge Joe Biden made while campaigning for president.

The plan calls for the government to lease fewer acres for drilling than initially proposed, charge steeper royalties to oil and gas companies, and assess the climate impact of developing the acreage.

The proposal was quickly denounced by several environmental groups, with one calling it "a reckless failure of climate leadership." Oil industry groups praised the move but said it did not go far enough.

The announcement by the Interior Department, made late Friday before a holiday weekend, is the latest move to reform the federal oil and gas leasing program since Biden took office in January 2021. The administration has faced ongoing pressure to address high energy prices driven by the economic rebound from the pandemic and Russia's invasion of Ukraine.............

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-resume-oil-gas-drilling-public-land-despite-biden-campaign-pledge-2022-04-15/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hmmm.

Considering the on-again, off again nature of this, would you trust that lease past November?

Without ironclad guarantees of some sort, this isn't going to cause a spike in investment in leases or drilling. (It does take time to work up a drilling program).

And that's even assuming the areas offered have oil beneath them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Hmmm.

Considering the on-again, off again nature of this, would you trust that lease past November?

Without ironclad guarantees of some sort, this isn't going to cause a spike in investment in leases or drilling. (It does take time to work up a drilling program).

And that's even assuming the areas offered have oil beneath them.

Wouldn’t trust it for a second. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Rep. Crawford: Biden’s Drilling Plan ‘Not a Serious’ Plan, Increased Royalties Will Be Passed on to Consumers

Ian Hanchett 15 Apr 2022

On Friday’s broadcast of the Fox Business Network’s “Evening Edit,” Rep. Rick Crawford (R-AR) stated that President Joe Biden’s plan to resume selling leases for oil and gas drilling on federal lands while raising royalties is an unserious plan that is “done for political purposes.” And to “placate both sides.” Because the increased royalties will be passed on to consumers.

Crawford said, [relevant remarks begin around 00:50] “Well, the devil’s in the details. This is not a serious proposal, and it’s done for political purposes. Because he’s raised the royalty rate, number one, by 6.25%. That’s basically code for tax. So, he’s taxing at a higher rate than has historically been the case. So, he’s doing that, and that’s going to be passed on to the consumer. The other thing is that he’s protracted the permitting process. Okay, you can open these leases up for sale. But the permitting process is going to take so long, that it’ll have very little, if any, impact in the price at the pump. And if and when they are able to resume flow, you’re going to see gas prices go even higher. … It’s really done to placate both sides.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/04/15/gop-rep-crawford-bidens-drilling-plan-not-a-serious-plan-increased-royalties-will-be-passed-on-to-consumers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Steve Milloy
@JunkScience
Just more Biden BS: 
1. Of the 744,000 acres approved during the Trump admin for lease, the Biden admin is only putting up 144,000 (20%) for auction.
2. Biden has illegally gone five quarters without a single lease sale.
10:12 AM · Apr 16, 2022

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Sounds good but all it accomplishes is obeying the law.

Biden has been in defiance of a court order since last year

Biden defies court ruling again, refuses to hold oil-drilling sales
https://dailyangle.com/articles/biden-defies-court-ruling-again-refuses-to-hold-oil-drilling-sales
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sounds good but all it accomplishes is obeying the law.

Biden has been in defiance of a court order since last year

Biden defies court ruling again, refuses to hold oil-drilling sales
https://dailyangle.com/articles/biden-defies-court-ruling-again-refuses-to-hold-oil-drilling-sales
Steve Milloy
@JunkScience
Just more Biden BS: 
1. Of the 744,000 acres approved during the Trump admin for lease, the Biden admin is only putting up 144,000 (20%) for auction.
2. Biden has illegally gone five quarters without a single lease sale.
10:12 AM · Apr 16, 2022

Yep,  "The Professor" got schooled in following the law. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.