Author Topic: Debt-ridden Illinois buying election year votes with temporary ‘tax cuts’  (Read 524 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
April 14, 2022
Debt-ridden Illinois buying election year votes with temporary ‘tax cuts’
By Jack Hellner

Democrats in Illinois are bragging that they are showering $1.8 billion of temporary tax cuts on the populace because of their superior fiscal management, instead of crediting the largess of federal taxpayers (which contributed greatly to the destructive inflation that is destroying the economy) for their windfall. They are even trying to force stores to display propaganda on it.

Grocery stores must advertise the suspension, by law, on customer receipts. If that isn’t feasible, they must display a 4-inch by 8-inch bold sign. Either option will show this message:

“From July 1, 2022, through July 1, 2023, the State of Illinois sales tax on groceries is 0%.”

Here is the amount it appears my wife and I will get from this stash:

-$50 per person per year in an income tax cut or $100

-A Possible $300 additional property tax credit. In Illinois we are privileged to pay the highest or second highest property taxes in the country -- so how generous!

-A temporary suspension of the 1% sales tax on food for a year. So, if my wife and I spend $400 per month at the store we will save $4 per month or $48 per year. Everyone should remember that sales taxes have risen substantially on gasoline and everything because of inflation and now they are bragging about a 1 cent reprieve for a year.

-The Democrats are also counting a delay in a 2 cent raise in gas taxes scheduled to go into effect in July as a tax cut even though it won't save anyone money out of their current expenses. Using that same logic, I will also delay the purchase of a car so I will call that a spending cut.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/04/debtridden_illinois_buying_election_year_votes_with_temporary_tax_cuts.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Isn't that enforced political speech?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Even Massachusetts doesn't tax groceries.

How does this stop the mass slaughter in Chicago?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Even Massachusetts doesn't tax groceries.

How does this stop the mass slaughter in Chicago?
Taxes on things like groceries only affect those who can afford it like the wealthier and those who can least afford it like the poor.

The vast majority of Chicagoans will simply shop out of town thereby reducing the city's tax revenues.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington