Author Topic: Rod Dreher: About Scalia: ‘He Wasn’t Wrong’  (Read 78 times)

Offline Kamaji

Rod Dreher: About Scalia: ‘He Wasn’t Wrong’
« on: April 13, 2022, 06:43:43 pm »
About Scalia: ‘He Wasn’t Wrong’

By Rod Dreher
April 13, 2022

Imade it back from Romania yesterday afternoon. It was a life-changing trip; I’ll tell you more about it later today. It was so intense, and so exhausting, that I fell into bed at five pm yesterday for a little nap, and didn’t wake up until 5:30 this morning. That tells me how much this trip took out of me … but the people I met and the things I saw made this one of the most important long weekends of my life. Like I said, more later.

This morning I see that Vogue magazine is hailing the end of monogamy (“Inside Love’s Sharing Economy”). Remember, social change generally starts with elites … like the kind of people who read Vogue. Excerpts:

Opening their relationship sparked a stream of existential questions for the Bhatias, according to Megan: “Whose life are we living? What do we want?” Entrenched systems were equally open to debate. “We are in a time of questioning institutional structures like health care, education, and, yes, monogamy,” she says, referencing the rise of a vocal, progressive political movement demanding sweeping structural change. The swelling impulse to challenge the status quo, from systemic racism and criminal justice to #MeToo’s reckoning on sexist abuse, had crept into her sex life and relationship style: “I think people are disillusioned with life right now and really starting to write their own rules,” Megan says.

So began the Bhatias’ winding path into consensual non-monogamy or “CNM,” the modern umbrella term for the practice of mutually and ethically agreeing to open an exclusive relationship to other sexual experiences, and in some cases, serious romantic partners. As “conscious uncoupling” was to divorce, consensual non-monogamy—sometimes called “ethical non-monogamy”—is to open relationships. In contrast to the free love of the ’60s or suburban key-party ethos of the ’70s, consensual non-monogamy in 2022 is a thoughtfully considered, typically therapized practice, complete with tidy acronym. CNM is rooted in open relationships that aspire to be “honest, moral, and trustworthy,” says Jessica Wood, Ph.D., a sexuality and relationships researcher at the Sex Information & Education Council of Canada (SIECCAN), who has studied CNM since 2018.

More:

Megan considers herself a better parent now that she’s polyamorous, saying she’s a more loving person in general. She and Marty give their son and daughter an age-appropriate explanation of their unconventional relationship structure or “polycule” (CNM is only the beginning of a seemingly endless glossary of terms). “At one point, when we lived in New Zealand and Kyle lived with us for about six months, they knew I might be in Kyle’s bedroom or I might be in Daddy’s bedroom,” Megan said. “We talk about ‘Mommy loves Kyle and Daddy,’ and ‘Daddy loves Mommy and Daddy loves his partner’…and they don’t know it’s not normal yet.” She likens it to the kids’ simply accepting the Bhatias’ gay friends.

And:
It took five more years, but in June 2020, the liberal city of Somerville, Massachusetts, just outside Boston, passed what was believed to be the country’s first municipal ordinance recognizing polyamorous relationships of three of more people, granting them the same legal rights as married, monogamous couples. The neighboring cities of Cambridge and Arlington followed suit in March and April 2021. Moors cites late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia’s “slippery slope” argument that striking down anti-sodomy laws could lead to queer marriage and legal unions between multiple people. She laughs a little: “He wasn’t wrong.”
Read it all.

To recap: in the 2003 decision overturning anti-sodomy laws, Justice Antonin Scalia warned that the Court’s ruling negated any basis in law for regulating consensual sexual behavior or relationships.

In 2022, the polyamorist chuckles, “He wasn’t wrong.”

It’s also important to consider how this process has brought us to the transgender moment. Strictly speaking, it need not have done. Scalia laid out the legal logic by which we would get to same-sex marriage, and then legal recognition of polyamory, but he didn’t include transgenderism there, because the legal process he’s talking about related only to sex, not gender.

The administration is laying the groundwork for the seizing of minors from parents who object to medically transitioning their children to the opposite sex. Not even Scalia saw that coming. The usual suspects will say that we who can see this for what it is are being paranoid, and probably bigoted, that it would never happen. I remind you: they said the same thing about Justice Scalia in 2003. I know; I was there.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/about-scalia-he-wasnt-wrong-polyamory-lgbt-marriage/