Author Topic: Maine City Taxpayers May Lose Services to Cover Migrant Housing Costs  (Read 210 times)

rebewranger

Maine City Taxpayers May Lose Services to Cover Migrant Housing Costs

RANDY CLARK12 Apr 2022161

Maine residents pay the highest property tax as a percentage of their income nationally. Now, Portland municipal taxpayers face an increase of 15 percent to cover the costs of asylum seekers sheltered locally. The City’s budget process was delayed with the hope of outside funding arriving to prevent the hike or cut to existing services. Regardless of whether funds are raised, supplemented, or redirected, the costs of the migrant crisis must be covered as federal financial supports are set to expire in June.

According to a report by WMTV in Portland, the City postponed submission of the annual budget under a hope that state legislation will mostly cover an anticipated shortfall driven by migrant care. The City must find $13 million to continue its sheltering of more than 1,000 asylum seekers, according to Interim City Manager Danielle P. West. The report notes that roughly 100 new arrivals come each week.

West told WMTV, “Due to increasing costs from inflation as well as from a rather large general assistance budget, we are delaying my presentation this evening.” In addition to providing housing for the asylum seekers and other residents in need, the City also plans to double its local health services budget for the next fiscal year.

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2022/04/12/maine-city-taxpayers-may-lose-services-to-cover-migrant-housing-costs/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Maine City Taxpayers May Lose Services to Cover Migrant Housing Costs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 02:39:10 pm »
If by "migrant", they mean "illegal alien", they might save money in the long run by buying them ticket back to where they came from.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 03:13:54 pm »
Giving illegal immigrants one way bus tickets to Washington DC is a lot cheaper.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 04:43:55 pm »
Giving illegal immigrants one way bus tickets to Washington DC is a lot cheaper.
True enough, but they'll just end up adding to the crime stats in Montgomery, Prince Georges and Fairfax Counties, and maybe even farther out. Send them back where they came from.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 05:02:00 pm »
True enough, but they'll just end up adding to the crime stats in Montgomery, Prince Georges and Fairfax Counties, and maybe even farther out. Send them back where they came from.

Texas most likely cannot send them back.  None of them is going to go back willingly, and sending them back involuntarily, in addition to creating potential violence, would most likely be treated as Texas attempting to enforce federal immigration law in a manner contrary to how the federal government intends to currently enforce it, meaning that Texas' actions would be improper.  The only solution is to transport them on a voluntary basis to places - such as D.C. - where their presence will be much more apparent to, and much more obnoxious to, the voters who support this sort of nonsense.

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 07:54:36 pm »

Texas most likely cannot send them back.  None of them is going to go back willingly, and sending them back involuntarily, in addition to creating potential violence, would most likely be treated as Texas attempting to enforce federal immigration law in a manner contrary to how the federal government intends to currently enforce it, meaning that Texas' actions would be improper.  The only solution is to transport them on a voluntary basis to places - such as D.C. - where their presence will be much more apparent to, and much more obnoxious to, the voters who support this sort of nonsense.

I agree, @Kamaji . There are most likely federal regs regarding total deportation by a state.

Much like  bussing the illegals to DC has to be voluntary...I'm sure there is some kind of kidnapping law if the illegals don't voluntarily go. That said, there are many ways to encourage voluntary travel to DC. It is the land of milk and honey and they will take much better care of you there.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 07:56:02 pm by berdie »