Author Topic: The End For Electric Cars? VW Develops New Hydrogen Technology: “2,000 Km On A Single Tank Of Fuel”!  (Read 1014 times)

Offline roamer_1

There are other types of fuel cells, but this is the simplest.  The cell runs at about 80°C, much cooler than an ICE.  These cars already exist and are on the road right now.  The problem of course is how to refuel (and store) more hydrogen.

I seem to recall GM/Shell having a bunch of time and money into developing hydrogen based vehicles and distribution - That all got scrapped by govt dictate in Dubya's Too Big To Fail bailout, where again, by gvt dictate, GM was set on a course to adopt electric cars going forward.

Offline Hoodat

Another question - at least to my mind - is what happens with these fuel tanks in a collision?  Is borohydride flammable or toxic?

Sodium borohydride, in solution with water, is relatively safe.  Non-flammable.  Can be an irritant, but isn't going to poison anyone.  When a catalyst is introduced, it reacts with water to form hydrogen gas.

NaBH4 + 4 H2O   ⇒  4 H2 + NaB(OH)4

But hydrogen itself is extremely flammable.  So a compressed hydrogen tank would be a serious hazard in the event of a collision.  An NaBH4 system creates hydrogen on demand.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

Sodium borohydride, in solution with water, is relatively safe.  Non-flammable.  Can be an irritant, but isn't going to poison anyone.  When a catalyst is introduced, it reacts with water to form hydrogen gas.

NaBH4 + 4 H2O   ⇒  4 H2 + NaB(OH)4

But hydrogen itself is extremely flammable.  So a compressed hydrogen tank would be a serious hazard in the event of a collision.  An NaBH4 system creates hydrogen on demand.

@Hoodat

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

I seem to recall GM/Shell having a bunch of time and money into developing hydrogen based vehicles and distribution - That all got scrapped by govt dictate in Dubya's Too Big To Fail bailout, where again, by gvt dictate, GM was set on a course to adopt electric cars going forward.

I'm sure someone has explored it, but an ammonia fuel cell would be interesting.  If you could pass ammonia through a polymer, generating N2 and protons on the other side, that would solve the fuel storage problem.

btw, while fuel cell demand would push platinum and ruthenium prices upward, the largest factor is the cost of the polymer itself.  DuPont developed Nafion back in the 60s.  I don't think they ever patented it.  It is their trade secret, and they are not willing to come down on price.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think I’d rather have a car run in hydrogen than electric.

Until you discover that you are riding around in a rolling bomb looking for a trigger I suppose!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

I have a hydrogen fuel cell car kit (small car) somewhere around here...