Author Topic: WINDMILLS  (Read 913 times)

Offline mrclose

WINDMILLS
« on: April 13, 2022, 12:49:04 am »

Pieces of wind turbine (Polystyrene) blades are buried in the Casper Regional Landfill in Casper, Wyoming.
Around 8,000 wind turbine blades will need to be removed and disposed of every year in the United States alone.

Link to a very interesting site on the subject ..

https://energyskeptic.com/2020/900-tons-of-material-to-build-just-1-windmill/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: WINDMILLS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 03:47:42 am »
Serious question because I honestly don't know the answer.

Will anything ever grow in the areas where all this plastic is buried?

Or will the toxins produce as it deteriorates kill the soil?"

Can't wait to learn what it will cost in the future to blast all these toxins into space because it will be illegal to bury or burn them,and blasting them into the solar system seems to be the only option.

What I DO know is that if I were a chemist,or could even spell it without spell check,that I would be working night and day to try to develop a process to safely destroy plastic and make the residue harmless.

SOMEBODIE is going to end up making a LOT of money from this!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 04:34:27 am »
The blades are Polystyrene???

That would seem unlikely other than perhaps fill inside the blade. Fiberglass and resin are what I would expect the blade to be made out of. Not much you can do with that in terms of recycling short of grinding it up and using it as fill in something else.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 07:26:44 am »

That would seem unlikely other than perhaps fill inside the blade. Fiberglass and resin are what I would expect the blade to be made out of. Not much you can do with that in terms of recycling short of grinding it up and using it as fill in something else.

They are fiberglass and resin...
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 01:22:41 pm »

@DB

Why can't they be made from aluminum?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 01:38:56 pm »
They are fiberglass and resin...

I read the blades contain a large quantity of carbon fiber which makes them very costly to recycle... so the just bury them.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 03:26:21 pm »
@DB

Why can't they be made from aluminum?

@sneakypete

I'd guess it's the weight.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 03:46:09 pm »
@sneakypete

I'd guess it's the weight.

@Cyber Liberty

How would an additional little weight hurt anything? Sure,it would be slightly harder to get them spinning,but the additional weight should produce more torque once they get moving.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 03:53:47 pm »
So, to save the Earth from Global Climate Change, they are going to poison it?  What could possibly go wrong?

They should make waste from solar farms and wind farms be stored on site, so people can see the REAL costs of Global Climate Change nonsense.

Burying old windmill blades out of sight, out of mind is such John Kerry limosuine liberal global climate change hypocrisy.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 04:07:03 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

How would an additional little weight hurt anything? Sure,it would be slightly harder to get them spinning,but the additional weight should produce more torque once they get moving.

Which would make it that much harder to slow them down if strong winds threatened to spin them outside of the design parameters for the generator inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwBSzW4t64

Shards of fiberglass and carbon fiber being launched in that manner is bad enough; aluminum blades would be a disaster.  Also, the additional weight would burn out the internal braking mechanism that much faster.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 04:07:22 pm »
So, to save the Earth from Global Climate Change, they are going to poison it?  What could possibly go wrong?

They should make waste from solar farms and wind farms be stored on site, so people can see the REAL costs of Global Climate Change nonsense.

Burying old windmill blades out of sight, out of mind is such John Kerry limosuine liberal global climate change hypocrisy.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 04:15:50 pm »
Which would make it that much harder to slow them down if strong winds threatened to spin them outside of the design parameters for the generator inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwBSzW4t64

Shards of fiberglass and carbon fiber being launched in that manner is bad enough; aluminum blades would be a disaster.  Also, the additional weight would burn out the internal braking mechanism that much faster.

@Kamaji

There are always trade-offs,and I think not having blades that can be re-cycled is worth the trade.

Not to mention almost certainly MUCH cheaper since they would rarely need to be replaced.