Author Topic: Portland snow: Rare, record-breaking snow leaves thousands without power  (Read 177 times)

rebewranger

By Judson Jones and Rachel Ramirez, CNN - Yesterday 3:43 PM

The residents of Portland, Oregon, woke up to a rare April sight on Monday: a blanket of fresh, white snow.

A house and vehicles are seen covered in snow on North Vancouver Avenue in Portland, Oregon, on Monday morning.
It was the city's first measurable snow in April since record keeping began more than 80 years ago, according to the National Weather Service. It's also the latest snow on record there.

"In 82 years of record keeping, (Portland International Airport) had never recorded more than a trace of snow in April," the weather service tweeted. "That ended today."

One to 3 inches of snow fell around the city, according to local weather reports.

The late-season snowstorm has left nearly 100,000 people without power, including some that experienced sporadic shutoffs. The snow and gusty winds brought down trees and power lines across the greater Portland area, triggering a challenging morning commute for many and prompting school districts to delay or cancel classes.

Just last week, Portland had sunny, 70-degree weather.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/portland-snow-rare-record-breaking-snow-leaves-thousands-without-power/ar-AAW6dD4?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8ca7a57216f74c98a4cfc2e5b86de827

rebewranger

How much more winter weather can global warming cause this spring?    000hehehehe

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'd bet that makes the CHAZ dwellers happy.... :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

They lost power over 1 to 3 inches of snow?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Global warming is a dish best served cold.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No problem, just hop in your electric car and drive someplace warmer... *****rollingeyes*****
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rebewranger

Did anyone open a ski resort de Jour?