Author Topic: Virginia passes law requiring schools to report sexually explicit classroom books to parents  (Read 2125 times)

Offline mountaineer

Virginia passes law requiring schools to report sexually explicit classroom books to parents
By Michael Gryboski
April 11, 2022
Christian Post
Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin has signed a bill into law that will require school boards to inform parents of when books used in the classroom contain sexually explicit content.

Known as Senate Bill 656 and signed by Youngkin last week, the new law orders the Virginia Department of Education to create “model policies” for school boards by July 31, and requires school boards to adopt the policies by Jan. 1 of next year.

“The Department shall develop and make available to each school board model policies for ensuring parental notification of any instructional material that includes sexually explicit content,” states SB 656. 

The policies will include parental notification, “identifying the specific instructional material and sexually explicit subjects,” and allowing “the parent of any student to review instructional material that includes sexually explicit content and provide, as an alternative, nonexplicit instructional material and related academic activities to any student whose parent so requests.” ...

Last year, Virginia’s Fairfax County Public Schools, which is one of the largest school districts in the United States, garnered controversy for having sexually graphic books in their high school libraries.

These included the books Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe and Lawn Boy by Jonathan Evison, which graphically depict sexual acts between men and boys.  ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Terry McAuliffe vetoed a similar piece of legislation during his administration.....and many parents STILL voted to reelect him.   **nononono*

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I can remember in high school in '74, with a little brouhaha over Catcher in the Rye.  So this sure isn't a new issue

I wondered what the big dang deal was, added it to one of the books I  were required to do a report on.

ZZZZZ!!!!  Boy was I disappointed. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I can remember in high school in '74, with a little brouhaha over Catcher in the Rye.  So this sure isn't a new issue

I wondered what the big dang deal was, added it to one of the books I  were required to do a report on.

ZZZZZ!!!!  Boy was I disappointed.

I thought it was a book about youth baseball.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.