Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: British troops 'kept awake on smart drugs': How MoD has spent up to £800,000 on more than  (Read 92 times)

rebewranger

EXCLUSIVE: British troops 'kept awake on smart drugs': How MoD has spent up to £800,000 on more than 12,500 doses of controversial stimulant modafinil over the last eight years

The MoD has admitted to buying over 12,500 'stay-awake' pills from 2013 to 2021
Modafinil, a controversial psychostimulant, is a prescription drug for narcolepsy
Compared to 'drinking 20 cups of coffee', modafinil can tackle combat fatigue
Long-term side effects include arrhythmia and a weakened immune system
Purchases of modafinil peaked in 2001 as British troops entered Afghanistan
By MARK TOVEY FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 06:41 EDT, 11 April 2022 | UPDATED: 07:07 EDT, 11 April 2022

The MoD has been buying thousands of doses of a 'smart drug' that could keep soldiers awake in combat for 40 hours straight. 

In response to a MailOnline Freedom of Information probe, the MoD admitted to having bought more than 12,500 pills of modafinil from 2013 to 2021, at an estimated cost of up to £800,000 based on drug prices published by NICE.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10707005/Thousands-smart-drugs-bought-MoD-soldiers-awake-40-hours-straight.html

rebewranger

Hey, the Nazis gave their troops "stimulants" too!  I suspect just about every military has been known to give "stimulants" to its troops at some point, though I never saw or heard of it happinging when I served. :woohoo: