Author Topic: Biden expected to release rule on ghost guns in days  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Killer Clouds

Re: Biden expected to release rule on ghost guns in days
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2022, 03:34:31 am »
Gun Control Act of 1968 is on it's face unconstitutional.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2022, 12:18:51 pm »
Gun Control Act of 1968 is on it's face unconstitutional.
So is the NFA of '34, and most laws since regarding guns.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2022, 12:36:52 pm »
How many of these "ghost guns" were used in all of the murders so far this year in Chicago, Baltimore, New York and St Louis?

My guess is "none".

So: can we please see the statistics first???
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2022, 01:03:06 pm »
How many of these "ghost guns" were used in all of the murders so far this year in Chicago, Baltimore, New York and St Louis?

My guess is "none".

So: can we please see the statistics first???

My bet, since they are claiming "ghost Guns" are the "weapon of choice" of criminals (something we know is unlikely, since the 80% lowers were for AR-15s and those are rarely used in crime), is that they are including guns whose serial numbers have been ground or filed off (in violation of existing Federal law) to keep them from being traced to thefts. Maybe the penalty for possession of a gun with the serial number removed is less than the penalty for receiving/possessing stolen firearms.

Anyhow, in the absence of any numbers to back Biden's assertions, I would estimate them to be 99% BS.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2022, 02:02:44 pm »
So is the NFA of '34, and most laws since regarding guns.
:thumbsup:

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2022, 10:19:52 pm »
As Biden is so much better than Trump in office, YOU TOLD ME.  What ever is so much bitching about?  Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.  Quite bitching, and enjoy Biden, the fruits of YOUR labors.  Your fought for this, kwitch yer bitchin!  Some times you get what you got coming, esp THIS time.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2022, 04:14:06 am »
ROTFLMAO!!!

So I have a drill press, a fly cutter, a tooling lathe, and various other sundry machining tools... None of which are used for gun manufacturing... or at least, not much... But all of them COULD BE...

How the hell are they going to license the thousands upon thousands of machines and shops just like mine?

What an idiotic assertion. I sure as hell ain't registering a damn thing...
 :thud:

@roamer_1

They aren't,and they don't even want to. What they want is a vague law that gives them an excuse to arrest people,most of whom are not in a financial position to have lawyers on retainer to defend them on BullBush charges.

And truthfully,you would have to be a Billionaire these days to be able to afford to fight off dubious criminal charges by a government with no interest in justice,and every bit of their focus on prosecuting Americans that might try to "step out of line".

It's not just guns they are after. Guns just happen to be their most convenient "tool" to begin their domination campaign because the big cities are filled with people who have never owned or even shot a gun,and most of these people will believe any lie the left makes because they just flat don't know any better.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2022, 04:16:47 am »
I seriously doubt they want all those tools registered (imagine the paperwork, or the manufacturer license requests!). What they DO want is the ability to charge anyone capable of making stuff with a crime.

Every such law is aimed at reducing an individual's (or even community's) ability to be self-sufficient.

@Smokin Joe

The laws will be so vague and so numerous the goobermint can charge anybody with violating at least ONE of them anytime they want.

AND......,you will have to PROVE to THEIR COURTS and THEIR JUDGES that you are innocent.

I wish you luck.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2022, 04:19:01 am »
@roamer_1

They aren't,and they don't even want to. What they want is a vague law that gives them an excuse to arrest people,most of whom are not in a financial position to have lawyers on retainer to defend them on BullBush charges.

And truthfully,you would have to be a Billionaire these days to be able to afford to fight off dubious criminal charges by a government with no interest in justice,and every bit of their focus on prosecuting Americans that might try to "step out of line".

It's not just guns they are after. Guns just happen to be their most convenient "tool" to begin their domination campaign because the big cities are filled with people who have never owned or even shot a gun,and most of these people will believe any lie the left makes because they just flat don't know any better.

@sneakypete

Maybe so... But that ain't gonna play a minute up in the holler... Where there is already a decided belligerence toward ATF and Revenuers. And Uncle Nanny don't go up in there, except maybe fishcops and wardens. Heck even the sheriff deputies need a damn good reason to try.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2022, 04:19:22 am »
Hopefully, a lot more states will be on that list.

@Smokin Joe

Unfortunately,NONE of them will be the states with large populations. At the present time,the left OWNS the big cities and their votes.

It took them decades to achieve this and they did it a piece at a time. If it takes us decades to repeal them,we are screwed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2022, 04:24:24 am »
FACT SHEET: The Biden Administration Cracks Down on Ghost Guns, Ensures That ATF Has the Leadership it Needs to Enforce Our Gun Laws
April 11, 2022

"Cracking down on ghost guns – the weapon of choice for many violent criminals."

@Elderberry

I am calling HorseHillary on that one. Most criminals have never even HEARD of "ghost guns".

Hell,most citizens that are law-abiding have never heard of them.

Neither have most gun owners.

Even *I* had never heard of them until today,and I've owned guns since I was around 7 years old,and I am a school trained gunsmith that had my own gunshop for a while.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 11:42:59 am »
@sneakypete

Calling them "Ghost Guns" is a recent thing. Homemade, undocumented guns have been popular for a long time. The though of not being on the govt's list of gun owners is popular with a lot of people. There were even classes where you could purchase an 80% receiver and finish the remaining machining under classroom instruction.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2022, 01:47:21 pm »
@sneakypete

Calling them "Ghost Guns" is a recent thing. Homemade, undocumented guns have been popular for a long time.

@Elderberry

I think I was 8 years old when I built my first gun. It was a .22 with a wooden grip,a piece of a car antenna for a barrel,a screen door hook for a firing pin,and part of any old bicycle inner tube to provide the striking power.

This was also about the time I built my first and only bomb,using chemicals I had bought from the local drug store,and information I got from my local library. When I set it off in front of our house,it cracked the sidewalk,ending my bomb-building days because my parents had to pay the city to repair the sidewalk. I knew my mother wasn't playing when she used her "She who MUST be obeyed voice" to tell me she would whup my ass for days if I did that again. Not being as stupid as I sometimes appear to be,I never build another bomb. Not even when I was in Special Forces. I LOVED blowing up crap to the point it seemed to make most people nervous to see me handling explosives.

The though of not being on the govt's list of gun owners is popular with a lot of people.

That's easy to understand.

There were even classes where you could purchase an 80% receiver and finish the remaining machining under classroom instruction.

I called those classes "Gunsmith School".

Offline LMAO

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2022, 02:45:51 pm »
Is the ghost gun issue the biggest issue that is concerning to average Americans?

Either this was an attempt to distract from the devastating inflation numbers or Joe Biden really believes this is a pressing issue
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2022, 03:54:41 pm »
Is the ghost gun issue the biggest issue that is concerning to average Americans?

Either this was an attempt to distract from the devastating inflation numbers or Joe Biden really believes this is a pressing issue

@LMAO

Being a life-long denizen AND being a retard from the northeast,I have no doubt he really believes this is a big issue that will pull in votes for him from all over the country.

He also probably thinks it will draw attention away from how corrupt and incompetent he is.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2022, 05:39:11 pm »
Lets NOT over look the agenda and tyrant type rule the democrats are currently trying to ram down Americans throats.   Guns for Mexican slaver drug lords, and Armies and nukes for radical muslims and radical muslim nations.
Why so little concern to arm them to the eyeballs, while utterly disarm America.  Even village idiots can figure out whose side they are on on these issues.
 :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
Confusion?  Only for willfully blind idjits!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2022, 11:33:07 pm »
Texas GOP push back on Biden 'ghost gun' regulation

Herald-Banner by Ali Linan 4/13/2022

https://www.heraldbanner.com/news/texas-gop-push-back-on-biden-ghost-gun-regulation/article_f58e8dc6-bb32-11ec-90d3-a3320b813538.html

Texas pro-gun activists and political leaders are condemning President Joe Biden’s announcement of a new effort to regulate “ghost guns.”

Following the announcement, Texas pro-gun advocates, leaders and lobbyists were quick to condemn Biden’s stance.

"President Biden's latest gun control scheme is misguided at best and pandering at worst,” said Andi Turner, legislative director for Texas State Rifle Association. “Felons aren't going to pay one bit of attention to these new regulations and if they were, the White House certainly would have laid claim to how much violent crime would be reduced in their announcement. This is a ‘feel-good’ measure that will only impact those who are already law-abiding citizens.”

The National Rifle Association too in a statement said the action sends the wrong message to violent criminals as the “ban will not affect them.”

“An administration that’s truly sincere and resolute about curbing violent crime rates would do one thing: take violent criminals off the streets immediately,” it said in a statement.

The crackdown comes as the country faces skyrocketing gun violence.

Gov. Greg Abbott, who has pushed for deregulated gun ownership, also chimed in on the announcement saying in a Tweet that he would always protect Second Amendment rights.

“Biden is punishing law-abiding citizens instead of enforcing existing gun laws & reducing the backlog of complaints,” he said.

Texas U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz said the regulations are a way of Democrats "trying to distract from the failure of gun control policies in Democrat-run cities."

"'Ghost gun' is a name intended to scare people," he said.

More at link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2022, 12:00:23 am »
Senate candidate who makes 'ghost' guns calls Dems' criticisms 'disingenuous'

https://www.wnd.com/2022/04/senate-candidate-makes-ghost-guns-calls-dems-criticisms-disingenuous/

Masters calls homemade projects 'very legal' and 'very cool'

On Monday, there was a prop waiting for President Biden in the Rose Garden: a hunk of polymer that could be turned into a handgun at home with a little patience, a few tools – no more than an electric drill, a set of files, and some sandpaper – and most importantly, no serial number. It was a so-called ghost gun, the “weapon of choice,” according to the White House, “for criminals, for terrorists, for domestic abusers.” And for at least one Senate candidate, who is none of those things. Blake Masters owns a handful of ghost guns. He built them himself.

The Arizona Republican certainly doesn’t fit the administration’s description of a typical ghost gun owner: He is an upstanding member of his community and a law-abiding citizen. Nor does he share the sinister view of these weapons espoused at the White House. He views building a gun at home as an interesting hobby and a legitimate political statement, not as an urgent threat to public safety.

Ghost guns are “very legal” and “very cool,” Masters tweeted Monday along with a picture of an AR-15- style rifle that he said he made himself. “But now, thanks to Biden’s new rule change,” he added, “I would be a felon if I made another one just like it today.”

Not quite, says Matthew Larosiere. After reviewing the 364-page rule released by Biden’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, an attorney with the Firearms Policy Coalition, told RealClearPolitics that Masters “might be skipping some legal nuance.”

The new ATF rule expands the existing definition of a firearm to include so-called “buy, build, shoot” kits like the one Biden palmed in the Rose Garden and said could be built “in as little as 30 minutes.” Want to assemble your own gun from a kit, like the “Polymer80” which includes all the parts and tools needed to assemble a pistol out of the box? You still can, but now a background check is required, and the materials must be marked with a serial number.

Masters believes that when the Founders penned the Second Amendment they were both guaranteeing the right to own guns and anticipating that citizens would build them. “In the colonial days, you were expected to know how to not just fire your weapon, but to reload it,” he said, “and probably to fix low-level things that went wrong with it too.” If gunsmithing wasn’t in your wheelhouse, then “there were people in your community that could literally make them if you didn't know how to do that yourself.”

More at link.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2022, 02:50:04 am »
So what are they gonna do?  Make it illegal to own a gun with the serial number removed?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2022, 02:59:41 am »
So what are they gonna do?  Make it illegal to own a gun with the serial number removed?

That would tend to make me remove every serial number...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2022, 03:07:45 am »
That would tend to make me remove every serial number...

It's already illegal for any gun that has crossed state lines:

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(k)  It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2022, 03:15:18 am »

I really don't care.  :shrug:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2022, 03:51:55 am »
I really don't care.  :shrug:

Same here.  I just wonder what is this ghost gun rule they are proposing since there already is a rule about ghost guns.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2022, 04:04:57 am »
Same here.  I just wonder what is this ghost gun rule they are proposing since there already is a rule about ghost guns.

I already have a proper redneck love/hate relationship with the law... Keep this up and I will pay them no mind at all.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2022, 11:14:56 am »

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

(k)  It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

"Ghost Guns" do not fall under that ruling as ghost guns did not have their serial number "removed, obliterated, or altered".  Ghost guns just never had a serial number.

I have several firearms without serial numbers.  Years back there was no legislative requirement for guns to have serial numbers.