Author Topic: The Growing Debate Over Spaying and Neutering Dogs  (Read 696 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The Growing Debate Over Spaying and Neutering Dogs
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:04:15 am »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-growing-debate-over-spaying-and-neutering-dogs

by Karen Brulliard
October 11, 2019

“Intact” dogs were the norm for a long time, and a litter of puppies was often part of the deal. But in the 1970s, when overflowing animal shelters were euthanizing millions of homeless dogs annually, spaying and neutering puppies — procedures that involve removing ovaries or testicles — became the dogma in the United States.

It still is: Surveys indicate a large majority of pet dogs are fixed, and 31 states and the District require that pets adopted from shelters or rescues be sterilized. The surgeries simplify pet ownership by preventing females from going into heat and, some believe, by improving dog behavior, though experts say that is not clearly supported by research.

But the common wisdom has been complicated in recent years amid widening evidence connecting spaying and neutering to health problems in dogs. The findings are stronger for certain breeds and large dogs, and age of neutering plays a role. But the research is causing some owners and veterinarians to question the long-held tenet that fixing puppies — or fixing, period — is a necessary part of responsible pet ownership.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The Growing Debate Over Spaying and Neutering Dogs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 01:05:11 am »
There is a Bob Barker joke in here somewhere; I'm just not able to think of it right now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 01:58:02 am »
[...] the long-held tenet that fixing puppies — or fixing, period — is a necessary part of responsible pet ownership.

(excerpt)

I would never nut a dog meant to be a guard. There is something absolute in the territorial nature of an intact male dog.

And as for bitches, I would not fix em till they had a litter... something happens to a female dog having pups that is valuable to their interaction with children. They will 'mother' those children once they know what mothering is.

pretty much the same goes with cats.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 04:02:17 am »
I would never nut a dog meant to be a guard. There is something absolute in the territorial nature of an intact male dog.

And as for bitches, I would not fix em till they had a litter... something happens to a female dog having pups that is valuable to their interaction with children. They will 'mother' those children once they know what mothering is.

pretty much the same goes with cats.
I agree, only I can't say I have has any experience to speak of with cats. I did have a Doberman I inherited who had bladder control issues, claimed by the vet to be the result of being spayed before her first heat. We had to watch her around little boys, but I have a feeling that was learned behaviour from her time with a previous owner.
Waiting until after a litter or two seems to enhance their pack instincts, and their human(s) are part of that pack. Worth the wait, imho.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 04:03:38 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 04:59:14 am »
I agree, only I can't say I have has any experience to speak of with cats.

We'll let our cats litter once or twice and then fix em. The tom that winds up on top don't get fixed, though lesser males do.... however we have had multiple intact males at once - kinda matters how they get along. Generally one tom and a bunch of fixed females.

I did have a Doberman I inherited who had bladder control issues, claimed by the vet to be the result of being spayed before her first heat. We had to watch her around little boys, but I have a feeling that was learned behaviour from her time with a previous owner.
Waiting until after a litter or two seems to enhance their pack instincts, and their human(s) are part of that pack. Worth the wait, imho.

That's right...