Author Topic: Wind Energy Company Fined $8 Million for Killing 150 Eagles  (Read 524 times)

Offline Kamaji

Wind Energy Company Fined $8 Million for Killing 150 Eagles
« on: April 07, 2022, 02:28:40 pm »
Wind Energy Company Fined $8 Million for Killing 150 Eagles

By Eric Lendrum
April 7, 2022

On Tuesday, a wind energy company was found guilty in federal court of killing over 150 eagles with their wind turbines over the course of the last ten years.

The Daily Caller reports that ESI Energy, a subsidiary of NextEra Energy, pleaded guilty in a federal court in Wyoming to violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. ESI had failed to apply for a special permit granted to some wind energy companies that provides them immunity from inevitable bird strike deaths caused by the massive propellers of the wind turbines.

After having been found to be responsible for the deaths of approximately 150 eagles in eight different states over the last decade, the company was fined over $8 million.

“We disagree with the government’s underlying enforcement activity,” said NextEra President Rebecca Kujawa following the ruling. “Building any structure, driving any vehicle, or flying any airplane carries with it a possibility that accidental eagle and other bird collisions may occur.”

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/04/07/wind-energy-company-fined-8-million-for-killing-150-eagles/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Wind Energy Company Fined $8 Million for Killing 150 Eagles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 02:29:04 pm »
And that's just for the protected species.  How many non-protected species of birds have they been killing over that same period of time?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 03:14:12 pm »
Well, now, about time the Windmill folks get held to the same standards an Oil company would.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 03:43:41 pm »
It's about time.  The windmills have pretty much wiped out what's left of the California Condors.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 04:33:31 pm »
It's about time.  The windmills have pretty much wiped out what's left of the California Condors.
While it is good, at the same time remember it is because someone failed to fill out a form giving the company a waiver, not a shift in policy. Essentially, they are being fined for not having filled out the right paperwork, and the Eagles are secondary.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 04:38:53 pm »
While it is good, at the same time remember it is because someone failed to fill out a form giving the company a waiver, not a shift in policy. Essentially, they are being fined for not having filled out the right paperwork, and the Eagles are secondary.

You have a good point.  BTW, the Condors have been labeled "extinct in the wild" for some years now.  They only exist in zoos and preserves.

Then policy is ultimately what needs to be fixed, at the Statute level, and the Rats will never allow that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 04:41:52 pm »

And how preposterous is that?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 04:47:25 pm »
And how preposterous is that?
You have to recall that the Green New Deal has bugger-all to do with the environment.
It is all about reallocation of wealth and control.

Windmills are part of the GND, and as a result there is an 'out' for those who want to set up windmill farms. These folks didn't do their homework, or were incompetent. Either way, they didn't fill out the right forms, and left themselves open to prosecution.

(Whether that waiver involves greasing palms or making campaign donations, I will not speculate).

In the whole equation, though, the birds come in dead last.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 04:52:46 pm »

100% correct.  When was the last time you saw a "Save the Condor" movement?
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 04:53:15 pm »
You have to recall that the Green New Deal has bugger-all to do with the environment.
It is all about reallocation of wealth and control.

Windmills are part of the GND, and as a result there is an 'out' for those who want to set up windmill farms. These folks didn't do their homework, or were incompetent. Either way, they didn't fill out the right forms, and left themselves open to prosecution.

(Whether that waiver involves greasing palms or making campaign donations, I will not speculate).

Whether or not... It is unconscionable that a government can take your wealth because of an 'i' not dotted or a 't' not crossed. I have been similarly hit, albeit on a far lesser scale, by a similar failure to possess one among a myriad of forms and permits. That does not suggest a realm of free people.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 04:54:51 pm »
Whether or not... It is unconscionable that a government can take your wealth because of an 'i' not dotted or a 't' not crossed. I have been similarly hit, albeit on a far lesser scale, by a similar failure to possess one among a myriad of forms and permits. That does not suggest a realm of free people.
I agree. Unfortunately, the elected problems in our government are barely the frost on the tip of the iceberg.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 05:05:03 pm »
I had to do some conservative extrapolation on this matter ...

69.000 turbines in the United States, at say 50 turbines per site = 1300 facilities

ESI owns 150 sites, and only 50 at least documented had eagle kills. So that adds up to 1-3 eagles per site in the enforcement period.

Based on some rough math that means possibly the actual number of eagles whacked by these monstrosities  be somewhere between 1000-4000 Eagles. 

Now, this doesn't even include the number of other raptors, flocking birds, or bats that have met this demise.  Green Energy my ass.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 05:09:17 pm »
I had to do some conservative extrapolation on this matter ...

69.000 turbines in the United States, at say 50 turbines per site = 1300 facilities

ESI owns 150 sites, and only 50 at least documented had eagle kills. So that adds up to 1-3 eagles per site in the enforcement period.

Based on some rough math that means possibly the actual number of eagles whacked by these monstrosities  be somewhere between 1000-4000 Eagles. 

Now, this doesn't even include the number of other raptors, flocking birds, or bats that have met this demise.  Green Energy my ass.

The predators are the hardest hit because it's their core instinct to chase and capture moving targets in order to eat, which the motion of the turbine blades mimic.
I will NOT comply.

rebewranger

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 05:16:38 pm »
If Trump had one windmill on any of his properties and it killed one crow, the greenies would be demanding $20 million from him. :headbang:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 05:20:39 pm »
If Trump had one windmill on any of his properties and it killed one crow, the greenies would be demanding $20 million from him. :headbang:

I hope some of the GND toadies are on hand to explain when these become rusty graveyard monuments.  Uglifying our beautiful Western U.S. vistas.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2022, 12:08:12 am »
100% correct.  When was the last time you saw a "Save the Condor" movement?
Actually there are a few, most notable here in California and in Peru. Regardless, I am sure if any California Condors succumbed to the giant Mr. Chop Chop their corpses would be quickly disposed of before the news became public.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2022, 12:19:53 am »
[...] the giant Mr. Chop Chop

NEW! From RONCO...

:rolling:

Offline Kamaji