Author Topic: Ditching College  (Read 227 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ditching College
« on: April 06, 2022, 01:32:32 pm »
Ditching College

It is imperative that we finally recognize that, despite all the social pressure to the contrary, college is not for everyone.

By Larry Sand
April 5, 2022

One of the numerous reverberations of the COVID pandemic and our overwrought response to it is that many young people are now skipping college. For students who graduated high school in 2020, college enrollment was down 21.7 percent compared with the prior year, according to the National Student Clearinghouse. And importantly, if a student doesn’t go directly from high school to college, he is much less likely ever to attend a school of higher learning. Men notably, in increasing numbers, are forsaking college. The Clearinghouse reports that at the close of the 2020-21 academic year, women made up 59.5 percent of college students, and men just 40.5 percent.

While much of the media has descended into pearl-clutch mode over the recent college exit, a reset has been long overdue. In fact, the push for universal enrollment is relatively new. In 1960, just 7.7 percent of adult Americans held college degrees, but 60 years later that number jumped to 35 percent. Writing on the subject in 2017, the late Walter Williams reported that about “1 in 3 college graduates have a job historically performed by those with a high-school diploma or the equivalent.” Williams, citing Ohio University economics professor Richard Vedder, goes on to say that the United States was home to “115,000 janitors, 16,000 parking lot attendants, 83,000 bartenders and about 35,000 taxi drivers with bachelor’s degrees in 2012.”

Most universities are just not properly preparing young people for the job market. In Harvard Business Review, tech guru Michael Hansen writes that a recent poll of Americans who graduated from a community or four-year college in the past five years showed that 19 percent reported that “their college education experience did not provide them with the skills needed to perform their first post-degree job. Additionally, more than half (53%) of these college graduates have not applied to an entry-level job in their field because they felt unqualified, and . . . 42% felt unqualified because they did not have all the skills listed in the job description.”

Many students don’t even get to the point where they get to feel unqualified, because they never graduate. Research reveals that the six-year completion rate for any degree or certificate is currently 62.2 percent. This means that more than three in eight college students drop out with no credential whatsoever. Per Fordham Institute’s Mike Petrilli, “To put it succinctly, many young people don’t do well in college because they aren’t very good students in an academic setting, they haven’t done very well in school, and they don’t like it all that much.”

With these troubling numbers in mind, parents want something different for their kids. A Gallup poll from April 2021 shows that 45 percent of parents of current students wish more postsecondary options were available. In fact, there are several.

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/04/05/ditching-college/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Ditching College
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 05:29:39 pm »
Skyrocketing Tuition and Books cost and a loan-shark government have nothing to do with it. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:31:44 pm »
Skyrocketing Tuition and Books cost and a loan-shark government have nothing to do with it. 

Well, those things have been allowed to take place in part because of the misguided ideology that the only way to succeed in life is to get a college degree, no matter how much one has to borrow to fund it.

Remove the ideology, and develop the alternatives, and it becomes harder and harder for those abuses to flourish.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 09:06:46 pm »
Well, those things have been allowed to take place in part because of the misguided ideology that the only way to succeed in life is to get a college degree, no matter how much one has to borrow to fund it.

Remove the ideology, and develop the alternatives, and it becomes harder and harder for those abuses to flourish.

It's a natural desire for a parent to want their child to do better than they have. And at one time only the affluent could afford to send their kids to college so it became a sign of success.

I think that time has passed. The tuition puts the parent/child into deeper debt than I can imagine. The degrees are often worthless. The curriculum often should have been taught in high school. For many, it's an extended time for a 4/5 years of staying away from maturity.

I am a big proponent of trade schools. Of course we need professions that can only be provided by a college education. That is not for everybody. We also need professions provided by trade schools....that can be as lucrative and less costly.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 09:16:43 pm »

It's a natural desire for a parent to want their child to do better than they have. And at one time only the affluent could afford to send their kids to college so it became a sign of success.

I think that time has passed. The tuition puts the parent/child into deeper debt than I can imagine. The degrees are often worthless. The curriculum often should have been taught in high school. For many, it's an extended time for a 4/5 years of staying away from maturity.

I am a big proponent of trade schools. Of course we need professions that can only be provided by a college education. That is not for everybody. We also need professions provided by trade schools....that can be as lucrative and less costly.

:thumbsup:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 10:46:48 pm »

MikeRoweWorks. Google it, Mike gives scholarships to trade schools.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 11:10:38 pm »

I fully agree!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 11:22:44 pm »
College was the best time in my life. I hated high school.

If I could go back into a time machine I’d spend my whole life there
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 11:29:53 pm »
College was the best time in my life. I hated high school.

If I could go back into a time machine I’d spend my whole life there
My first two years of High School, I had some good teachers and good friends, but the Race Riots going on made the experience much less pleasant than it could have been. The last two years of High School were at a Private School, and I dove into academics with a vengeance, loving every minute of it, and free of the 'conflict' I dealt with in Public School.
I enjoyed my undergrad years thoroughly.
Grad school (different place) had its good and bad, and if I had it to do over again I might have chosen a different school or a slightly different direction.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis